Kevin McCloud on green-ness, sustainabilty and demolition...

General, non-amusement park heritage-related discussion, including conservation news and information.

Moderator: EAS

Kevin McCloud on green-ness, sustainabilty and demolition...

Postby EAS » 18 Mar 2009, 16:14

I have just had this sent to me from someone who read this post:

http://www.joylandbooks.co.uk/forum/vie ... php?t=1768

Kevin McCloud, the face of TV's Grand Designs, has cautioned against demolishing inefficient homes and starting from scratch as a way of improving the environmental performance of the UK's housing stock.

Speaking at Ecobuild this week Mr McCloud dismissed the suggestion that demolition might be good for pushing forward the green agenda.

"Demolition is an easy solution - it's easy to say it's old and we don't like it so let's knock it down," he said.

"But the new thing tends to last less long than the old and there's an aesthetic consideration too, it tends to look worse."

He said that he was rather in favour of creative re-use and adapting existing buildings to meet environmental standards.

That did not necessarily mean trying to preserve them and make them look like quaint, old-fashioned homes, he added.

"If it means buildings have to look different for the sake of efficiency I don't really mind," said the TV presenter.

"It still has echoes of the past and its heritage. If the alternative is to knock everything down and pepper the countryside with Noddy houses, I'm against that."

Paul King, chief executive of the UK Green Building Council, also defended refurbishment as the solution to inefficiency on the grounds of economics.

He referred to work carried out by the Sustainable Development Commission comparing the financial and environmental cost of refurbishment versus demolition and new build which concludes that renovation is the hands-down winner.

He said: "The cost of demolition is often higher than it first seems and we need to be careful before we knock anything down because we're having trouble building any new houses at the moment and we haven't got enough."

http://www.edie.net/news/news_story.asp ... V+designer

Well folks - true or not?
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby Border Collie » 19 Mar 2009, 17:43

I read somewhere once ( :roll: ) sorry for no source.

Kevin lives in an old house and they have done not very much to it. They put on extra jumpers etc. I think he likes it not done up.
Border Collie

Postby EAS » 20 Mar 2009, 11:21

Sounds like our place... thermals for six months of the year.

However, this conference might provide some solutions, pity that the government is plodding on with the appalling Pathfinder demolitions instead of 'recycling' those thousands of homes being demolished:

Recycling Historic Building: Empowering Local Authorities & Communities, 26 March

The Princes Regeneration Trust, the Institute of Historic Building Conservation and The Civic Trust for Wales will be holding an even in Llandudno. Focusing on encouraging local authorities to use their statutory powers in working with communities to tackle redundant historic buildings, this conference is led by speakers including the heritage Barrister, Charles Mynors; Bob Kindred MBE, the author of ‘Repairs Notices’ from Ipswich Borough Council and Dr Tim Williams of Navigant Consulting, regular contributor to Regeneration & Renewal magazine and former advisor to CLG Minister, Caroline Flint, on regeneration and planning.

This conference should prove of interest to all concerned with the regeneration of the historic environment and those who manage the heritage asset. A detailed programme can be found and bookings made on-line at

http://llandudno2009.ihbc.org.uk
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby Jon Maine » 01 Apr 2009, 16:55

Border Collie wrote:I read somewhere once ( :roll: ) sorry for no source.

Kevin lives in an old house and they have done not very much to it. They put on extra jumpers etc. I think he likes it not done up.

I can vouch for the old house bit and that he has been doing it up for 13 years or so . He has recently installed a Biomass heating system though.
Jon Maine

Postby EAS » 02 Apr 2009, 11:30

Thanks Jon!

For anyone interested, I suggest that a look at Jon's website link for his own major rescue, The Merchant's House, Shepton Mallet, is worth a peruse (heated by ground source heat pump from a borehole) and maye Jon can be persuaded to post a link to some more of his pictures also!

I gather up for a number of awards soon Jon?
EAS

Postby Jon Maine » 02 Apr 2009, 11:50

Yes we are entered into the RIBA, RICS and Grand Designs.

We have had the RICS judges around, seemed impressed but are not allowed to comment so will not know anything until the awards evening May 20th at the Bishops Palace at Wells. ( My birthday so here's hoping).

As for The Riba have not heard if we have even been shortlisted for a judges visit yet but again there is around 7 weeks to the awards ceremony.

With GD they are a bit different you do your entry on line, they do not come and look at the house but just judge it from the online entry. They have a do at Excel where all entrants are invited at £140 plus vat a head!! April 30th. They did not have a conservation category though so I entered it into "redesigned home" and "conversion" as its last use was an engineers workshop.

Will have to be patient, not so good with that though.

Anyway off to lay some concrete now so must fly, yes work is still a bit tight so taking anything on at the moment.

Good to catch up with you .
Jon Maine

Postby Jon Maine » 03 Apr 2009, 12:16

Just received my invite to the RICS SW awards this morning for May 20th.

All a little strange, not that I am supersticious.

The Judges came on My recently passed away father in laws birthday

The Invite arrived today on my step sons birthday

The awards are on my birthday

work that one out!! All the male birthday dates too, none of the female ones.
Jon Maine

Postby EAS » 03 Apr 2009, 12:50

I have good vibes Jon... all things crossed for you! Hopefully a good result.

xxx
EAS

Postby Jon Maine » 03 Apr 2009, 14:04

Thank you
Jon Maine

Postby Jon Maine » 07 Apr 2009, 20:32

Found out today we have not been shortlisted for the Riba, we think that it is to true a conservation job for their conservation criteria.
Comments were made about not enough new work when the preliminary judge called. I suspect that Riba being design driven that they are looking to modernise the original design of the building rather than restore to original as we have.
Of course it is not a reflection on my work, or the project as a whole, it is design award for the architect.
Jon Maine

Postby Spider in the bath » 08 Apr 2009, 15:40

Of course it is not a reflection on my work, or the project as a whole, it is design award for the architect.

I suspect you are right. If you watch Grand Designs they always add something jarringly modern (which I think looks out of place and spoils the final look of the building) to a worthwhile project.

Why do so many architects think that they won't be noticed unless they create something that sticks out like a sore thumb? Perhaps it is because only the sore thumbs get considered for awards!

But in your case, finding architects that want to do the right thing has been a real achievement, and I really hope that you get some sort of award for your restoration to restore the balance.
[/quote]
Why is Abbreviation such a long word?
Spider in the bath

Postby Jon Maine » 08 Apr 2009, 17:30

I have heard back from the Rics today, They wanted to come and check a couple of things again so sounds more positive.

Who cares about the Riba anyway, my architect was brilliant and should be commended. It strikes me odd that fairly pure conservation is frowned on by them as not interesting enough.
Jon Maine

Postby EAS » 22 May 2009, 13:57

Congratulations Jon - wonderful and well deserved RICS award winner!

No doubt the housewarming will be a good one (alas can't make it, hoped we could but can't but have great time!).

http://www.rics.org/Networks/Regions/UK ... 00509.html

xxxx
Last edited by EAS on 22 May 2009, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
EAS

Postby Jon Maine » 22 May 2009, 14:01

Thankyou,

It would have been good to see you, I know the logistics were difficult so sort of expected you may not make it. Another time, or may be we will make it op north.

Jon XX
Jon Maine

Postby EAS » 22 May 2009, 14:08

Have just sent an e-mail to the SAVE office telling them of the good news, as you know it's been a long time SAVE interest, and you appeared in the SAVE Buildings at Risk book a few years back, and did the press publicity for it too.

I'm just so delighted! So well deserved!

But yes, we hope we can visit properly sometime soon, it's rather better than our wreck you know!

You have given us hope...

xxx
EAS

Next

Return to Heritage Forum