Clangers!

The place for off-topic discussion. Any subject is fair game, as long as it meets the forum rules.

Moderator: EAS

Clangers!

Postby EAS » 15 Mar 2009, 10:03

SteveC posted this earlier in the week in the Dreamland campaign thread:

http://www.joylandbooks.co.uk/forum/vie ... php?t=1752

KCC report of 11th October 2004...
Quote:
"Overall, the key to this challenge is involving local communities from the start, whilst still being prepared to make difficult decisions when necessary."

And as a final snippet from that report, there's a corker of a line on page 8:
Quote:
"Evidence is appropriate in some circumstances, such as when using pubic money."
Yes, they really did publish it with the phrase 'pubic money' included.

which made me chuckle.

I do know of a monument which was erected by "pubic subscription", or so it says engraved in stone, in a town in Yorkshire, but couldn't recall where (Thirsk maybe?). Tried a google with no joy but did find these gems:

"In 1852 the School used funds raised by pubic subscription to erect a monument to Scottish engineer and inventor James Watt; renamed the Watt Institution and School of Arts.

In 1869 in response to a campaign by female subscribers and their supporters, the governors took the then radical step of allowing women to attend classes on equal terms with men. This move placed the Watt in the vanguard of Scottish Higher Education institutions, preceding others by some 20 years."

No wonder Heriot Watt University thrived!

Again in Scotland:

"The Fire Brigade of Peebles has had a long and honourable history. The records available indicate that a fire-fighting unit existed before 1868, but it is from that year that records are easily available, and the following extracts from minutes and other sources make interesting reading.

May 11, 1868.— At a special meeting of the Commissioners of Police for the Burgh of Peebles a sub-committee was appointed to undertake the task of procuring a new fire engine, this to be met by pubic subscription. The Commissioners agreed to open the subscription list with a donation of £10.

July 13, 1868.— At the quarterly meeting of the Commissioners it was remitted to the Water Committee to examine the fire plug position in the burgh and to have those in the Old Town fitted to the 5-inch main without delay."

Plenty of other examples on the net, I liked this one:

http://www.cambridge.org/uk/catalogue/c ... 0521526517

The Estates of the English Crown, 1558–1640
Edited by R. W. Hoyle
Magdalen College, Oxford

Contents
List of tables; Acknowledgements; List of abbreviations; List of Pubic Record Office classes cited;

:shock:

This morning I came across this in this week's 'World Wide Words'

http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/raib.htm

"A circular ... received from Harrington's of
Vermont, a mail order source of smoked meats, included this offer:
"Boneless smoked duck and peasant. These are lean, moist and smoked to perfection"

Em - delicious? :(

Maybe people have other such clangers to post?
EAS

Postby Border Collie » 18 Mar 2009, 11:51

Yes I always expect my peasants to be lean.
Border Collie

Return to Outside the Park: Off-Topic Discussion