Brighton Ghost Train Documentary - Help Wanted

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Brighton Ghost Train Documentary - Help Wanted

Postby Gary » 20 Oct 2006, 15:38

Rick Davis from USA, chairman of DAFE (Darkrides And Funhouse Enthusiasts) forwarded the following email to me..sadly I don't live in West Sussex..Can anyone help??

Original Message -----

RE: documentary seeks ghost train enthusiasts near Brighton

My name is Tom Hemsley and I am currently doing some pre
production research for a documentary to be produced by media
school students at Bournemouth university about the ghost train on Brighton pier.

The documentary is to look at what the attraction is
towards this dark ride and ghost trains in general. I was emailing you to see if you had any ideas about how to contact possible enthusiasts you may know about that live in the area, or in West Sussex.

The production is planned for the 30th to the 31st of
october and any suggestions would be most helpful. Thank you.

Tom Hemsley

..Anyone up for it?

Gary
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 21 Oct 2006, 12:56

The Ghost Train currently on Brighton Pier is a rather lame effort, and was originally a travelling funfair ride based on an articulated lorry trailer which used to tour around China before coming to Brighton to replace an earlier Ghost Train which was destroyed by fire. Although I'm not from the area, I rode on it a fortnight ago.

It starts by climbing a sharp spiral, goes into a short dark section with some light-up monsters, comes out into the open around 10 feet above ground level before going into another short enclosed section and then emerging after the obligatory siren noise to join the rear of the queue of cars at the station area. At some stage there is a slight "down and up" dip.

It costs a rather eye-watering £3 to ride.

There are some photos and more details HERE
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Killa » 14 Jul 2007, 11:53

this ghost train was built in 1995 by the well known manchester based showman Gilbert Chadwick Jnr, famous for building this ghost train, regarded in its day as the biggest, best and most widely travelled (not the mention its excellent Paul Wright artwork). it travelled the UK and went to dubai in 2001 before a brief return home then out to the far east to do the world carnival circuit (where it gained its new roof thing) before being bought by the noble organisation for the pier. they systematically ruined the machine and it took a beating off the sea air. the machine is now in the capable hands of showman Tim Booth without the roof section which would be difficult to transport and erect for the travelling it does. i believe the pier is in the stages of completing a brand new italian built ghost train.
You can't beat that top buzz feeling!

www.ffun.co.uk
Killa

Postby keith » 07 Aug 2007, 21:42

I was about to add a photo of the new dark ride being constructed at Brighton Pier but didn't realise there doesn't seem to be the facility to attach photos to postings on this forum
keith

Postby EAS » 08 Aug 2007, 09:30

You can post on sites such as Photogalaxy or Photobucket etc and link the picture here - it will appear in the post.
EAS

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 08 Aug 2007, 20:22

keith wrote:I was about to add a photo of the new dark ride being constructed at Brighton Pier but didn't realise there doesn't seem to be the facility to attach photos to postings on this forum

There is Keith, and as ever it's easy when you know how.

Firstly, sign up to Photobucket- it's quick and free. Other hosts are available, but Photobucket does it for me.

Upload a photo there.

When uploaded, you will see four different boxes beneath your photo. Copy the bottom one (IMG Code) and paste it into your message, ensuring that you leave a space at either end of it.

The code will look like this. I have "spoiled the link" by inserting a space in the word "photobucket" in order to demonstrate the code without producing the image.

Remove the space and you will see the image.

If you need any further advice just ask. I would love to see the photos!
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum