"Radix malorum est cupidas"

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

"Radix malorum est cupidas"

Postby Gary » 02 Nov 2006, 21:37

Southport Pleasureland, Ocean Beach Rhyl, American Adventure, Barry Island South Wales...

In a time when foreign travel is troublesome and too much hassle, the UK seaside parks that have withstood wars, storms and the seventies fall like a deck of cards.

They'll be telling us that the way we spend our leisure time has changed next..You know, like it hasn't over the last few decades.

Shame on you. You have all missed the boat. Good times are around the corner to those who wait.

The Developers have taken over the Asylum.
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby Nick » 03 Nov 2006, 08:46

...and you can now add Metroland, Gateshead to the list. See the news page...
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Neil » 03 Nov 2006, 15:34

That's terrible. I was there at half term and the queue for the roller coaster stayed at over half an hour all the time I was there. It was my first visit and I was really impressed with what I saw, so this is really bad. They already have a 10 screen cinema, and while I was there we saw a film there in the evening and it was 3/4 empty. Admitted they weren't actually showing either of the films we had hoped to see (History Boys or Marie Antoinette), so we had to see the Devil wears Prada (which was the worst thing ever), but still. There aren't many other theme parks in the area. We were in a holiday cottage and the only theme parks which seemed to be reasonably near where we were staying was Diggerland and Metroland. So now the Trocodero has got rid of their tower ride this must be about it for indoor theme parks.
Neil Wilson
Neil

Postby EAS » 03 Nov 2006, 19:44

I live not far - I can't understand why they think another cinema is called for!

An Odeon?

http://www.newcastleparamount.org.uk/

http://www.culture.gov.uk/Reference_lib ... _50801.htm
EAS

Postby Nick » 04 Nov 2006, 13:24

They are moving the existing Odeon into the Metroland building, and converting he old Odeon into a health and fitness club.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby EAS » 04 Nov 2006, 22:09

One of the finest cinemas ever? A health and fitness club?
EAS

Postby Gary » 05 Nov 2006, 00:31

Hi EAS,

I may be mistaken but I think Nick may be referring to The Odeon(??) Multiplex already in the Metrocentre at the moment (In the Blue segment of the mall if I remember correctly from my last visit..)

Apologies if I have it wrong..I certainly hope it isn't that wonderful building your link points to..In todays climate I shouldn't be too surprised though..

Metroland: Another amusement park of sorts closing..I suppose they can make more money on the charges many people pay for a yearly membership to some gym that ironically many people only use between January and February until their New Year resolutions wear thin or from the rip off prices the soft drinks and popcorn cost at a cinema rather than from maintaining rides..It's all too familiar and sad..I'm just waiting to see what takes Southport Pleasureland's place..I don't have high hopes..Hopefully not a health and fitness club..

Yours sounding bitter, drinking bitter and rather healthily remembering the rides

Gary
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby EAS » 05 Nov 2006, 15:30

I hope you are right... the battle to save the Paramount has been long! I recall the place so well, as does my mum, aged 85... But hey, heritage counts... not a lot really.

http://www.tbppbguideforums.info/bpb/vi ... 9043#19043

It's sad and baffling though about Metroland. I can't believe it's not making cash, but of course possibly not enough to satisfy greed.

Kids now will have fewer and fewer places to go, until of course they hit the bars and alcopops... and there are gyms aplenty around.

Let's hope that Pleasureland isn't taken over by the Matalan, Pizza Hut and Big Mac sheds that now replace the Lido and Peter Pan's Pool. Ghastly. Sefton Council though seems to be run by... well, id**ts really.

Today the Save the Cyclone mob, headed by Peter Crompton, is camped outside Cyclone, with the meeja invited... Nov 5th firewatch, as no-one much trusts BPB...

http://www.tbppbguideforums.info/bpb/vi ... 9043#19043
EAS

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum