CYCLONE BEING DEMOLISHED

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

CYCLONE BEING DEMOLISHED

Postby EAS » 20 Nov 2006, 10:14

EAS

Postby furie » 20 Nov 2006, 11:24

I can't believe they're risking prosecution going in against protected species.

I hope that somebody throws the book at them...
Furie and the lop-eared lagomorphs of Lucifer
Failed to Save the Cyclone :(
furie

Postby EAS » 20 Nov 2006, 12:37

No-one seems to be responsible... the police are saying it's DEFRA...

This will destroy the River Caves - 1908/22 runs underneath.
EAS

Postby troy » 20 Nov 2006, 17:22

troy

Postby EAS » 20 Nov 2006, 17:39

SAVE contacted the council (Sefton)

reply:

I spoke to CO and he wrote me email below. Notthing he can do apparently.
Phil Hardwicke ar Development Control had gone so left message.
Then phoned Buildings Control, spoke to Alan Percy he said: that for a major project like this the Council need to be informed. Buildings Control have heard nothing. He would like to know if the drains were sealed before demolition for instance. Percy also said that really for major projects Health and Safety need to be told.
Called Health and Safety....unclear, they think National H&S executive deal with this kind of thing.
Percy also suggested I speak directly to the Chief Executive of Sefton MBC, Graham Haywood who of course is out of the office.

I called David Cam at BPB ,,, in a meeting until 10.30.

I hope others are doing the same...
EAS

Postby EAS » 20 Nov 2006, 19:52

extracts from e-mail...

Dear Mr Haywood,

SAVE Britain’s Heritage is very concerned about the demolition works currently being undertaken at Pleasureland in Southport...(this part removed for confidentiality reasons)

To our understanding this demolition has proceeded without the required approval given the large-scale nature of the works. This has been confirmed by the Building Control Department of Sefton Metropolitan Borough Council. It also remains unclear whether or not Health and Safety approval (also required on a demolition of this size) has been sought or given.
I
t is our view that this demolition is been carried out in a hasty and reckless manner. Given the inevitably hazardous nature of this demolition work it is vital that the Council give their approval before any further work is carried out.

We urgently request the Council intervene to halt demolition work at Pleasureland until all the relevant approvals have been checked, sought and granted.

While amusement park buildings may not have been taken very seriously as architecture until very recently we would like to point out that the Scenic Railway Rollercoaster in Margate is listed. Furthermore, Blackpool Council is seeking World Heritage designation for its unrivalled collection of entertainment buildings and structures.

It is our experience that all types of architecture come under greatest threat just as their importance begins to be recognised.

I hope you will take the time to take our considerations into account and we look forward to your reply on this urgent matter.

Yours sincerely

Marcus Binney CBE
President
Last edited by EAS on 27 Nov 2006, 16:13, edited 2 times in total.
EAS

Postby EAS » 22 Nov 2006, 14:31

Someone vandalised the demo machine Monday night... all work halted.

Been more good radio stuff today - Tony Livesey BBC Lancashire and then Radio Merseyside.

I think Granada is doing stuff also.
EAS

Postby Coaster Manta » 27 Nov 2006, 13:22

Have there been any results in getting other rides at Southport listed? I suspect that PBB need to flatten the entire site by the end of the year to allow their redevelopment deal to go through hence the sudden and not totally legal destruction of the Cyclone.
Without a Safety net your free to find serene pleasure of speed.
Coaster Manta

Postby EAS » 27 Nov 2006, 15:54

Careless talk costs rides.

As it did with Cyclone!

PS Council decided a structure not a building, so no consent required...

http://www.badgered.me.uk/cyclone/index.php
EAS

Postby EAS » 28 Nov 2006, 15:45

EAS

Postby Greg Pryce » 25 Feb 2007, 17:13

That really did make my blood boil,such a shame.Very very sad. Another bit of British History being destroyed :evil:
Greg Pryce

Pleasureland

Postby mesmoland » 28 Oct 2007, 01:37

OK time for my final thought,
I have been going to Blackpool pleasure beach (opps sorry Pleasure Beach Blackpool) since 1980 and only visited Pleasureland during July 2006 a short time before the close.I could feel something was wrong hardly anyone there !
But my first visit,my only visit would be my last....We had a great time and felt the magic soaked into the rides by so many as children had loved this place,probably taking their children there to feel what they had.
Only one visit,I was hooked,I would have been going back every year....but after seeing the cyclone demolishing photos ,it sank in, the fun that was being destroyed.The memories for so many will be just that
Well for what its worth,arrrrrggghhh !!! nooooooooo
Right well my review as a newcomer: best ride Dinosaur better than river caves what a great dark ride,also loved the cyclone,not that good a coaster (it was the reason I went,to go on another Charlie Page ride) but the art deco entrance ( OK I know it was rebuilt) modern designers ought to look behind as well as forwards.
Visit mesmoland on you tube "The World's First Cerebral Theme Park "
mesmoland

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum