Spanish City

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Spanish City

Postby Gary » 21 Dec 2006, 20:13

In the 1660s when Whitley Village had little more than one street, a few entrepreneurs offered bathing machines, boat trips and refreshments in huts on the beach.

As Whitley Bay grew the council converted the clifftop path into the promenade.

The first section was built between Rockcliffe and East Parade, and extended to the Links from 1903.

Other improvements followed, and the upper promenade was formally opened on 25 May 1911.

The lower promenade was begun in 1924 and completed in 1930.

Meanwhile seafront hotels and housing grew and the grounds of Whitley Park Hall were developed into the Pleasure Gardens which came to be known as The Spanish City.

Spanish City took its name from the Toreadors' Concert Party, who had played summer seasons on an open stage from 1904.

The famous Fun Park has a place in the hearts of generations of 'Geordies' and seaside visitors.

It had attractions, amusements and rides to suit all tastes and pockets.

My journeys in 2006 were a sobering experience....

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all Joyland posters and readers.

Gary, Ann and Isabel
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby Nick » 24 Dec 2006, 19:31

Sadly, the Council (owners of the Spanish City Amusement Park) decided to close the park and use the land for a new development. The park was leased to an operator, who I understand was not entirely happy with the council closing the park, as it still fulfilled an important role in the town.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby EAS » 30 Dec 2006, 20:57

As a Geordie who knew the Spanish City well, I'm gutted really.

'Regeneration' - that word strikes fear into my heart for all manner of reasons.
EAS

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum