End of Rhyl Funfair

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

End of Rhyl Funfair

Postby Bob » 22 Dec 2006, 13:00

A planning bid which to transform the West End of Rhyl, demolishing the town's funfair, has been submitted to Denbighshire County Council.
This continues the trend of seaside resorts moving away from the past and into the future. The days of the seaside amusements & fairgrounds are numbered. All over the UK they have already closed or have plans to be redeveloped. Sadly they are no longer viable. There is no longer a viable market for them.

There are even informal proposals to redevelop Blackpools Pleasure Park although nothing is official yet.
Bob

Re: End of Rhyl Funfair

Postby Nick » 24 Dec 2006, 19:35

Bob wrote:A planning bid which to transform the West End of Rhyl, demolishing the town's funfair, has been submitted to Denbighshire County Council.
This continues the trend of seaside resorts moving away from the past and into the future. The days of the seaside amusements & fairgrounds are numbered. All over the UK they have already closed or have plans to be redeveloped. Sadly they are no longer viable. There is no longer a viable market for them.

No viable market? Tell that to the owner of Skegness Pleasure Beach, who has invested consistently over the past few years. And tell that to the owners of Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach, Adventure Island, Funland (Hayling Island), Brean Leisure Park, Flamingo Family Fun Park, and many other successful coastal parks. Certainly, some resorts have current issues, but I don't think that can justify such a sweeping statement about the industry.

Bob wrote:There are even informal proposals to redevelop Blackpools Pleasure Park although nothing is official yet.

And that isn't true either.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby EAS » 30 Dec 2006, 20:45

Oh dear - isn't Bob amazing!

Does he seriously think we are all so dim as to believe the rubbish he posts? Of course a well managed amusement park can make cash.

The probem is that site owners and certain local authorities think that as flattened sites these places can earn heaps more dosh if they are 'redeveloped'.

Bob - how much would you make if Dreamland was razed and made into flats, 'bar cafes' and shopping malls?
EAS

Postby uvegotmale2000 » 31 Dec 2006, 00:02

if dreamland was demolished bob was lose his cardboard box to sleep in!!

a lot of people on this site thinks "bob" is connected to dreamland somehow,ive looked through the archives for "bobs"1st post
which starts of as

"its been a few years since i visited margate"

bob your points are always 100% inaccurate and you never ever answer peoples questions put to you

i wonder why
uvegotmale2000

Postby EAS » 31 Dec 2006, 11:31

It could have something to with the fact Bob is simply a troll, who pops up every now and again to try to strir up trouble!

He's amusing though...
EAS

Postby bluea61 » 11 Jan 2007, 07:47

Back to Rhyl...

By the sounds of it Rhyl is about to bite the dust, which I personally think is a shame. We visited there this year and the Water Chute was great. About a mile-ish down the road is the Tir Prince Raceway, where Williams Amusements operate a Funfair. They said they may try and save the Water Chute and move it up the road. Anyone know anything more? Is there any news on the fate of the remaining rides?
Steve
bluea61

Postby furie » 12 Jan 2007, 15:39

bluea61 wrote:Back to Rhyl...

By the sounds of it Rhyl is about to bite the dust, which I personally think is a shame. We visited there this year and the Water Chute was great. About a mile-ish down the road is the Tir Prince Raceway, where Williams Amusements operate a Funfair. They said they may try and save the Water Chute and move it up the road. Anyone know anything more? Is there any news on the fate of the remaining rides?

It would be fantastic if Williams could save the Water Chute. I grew up in the 70's visiting Rhyl and Belle Vue. My first "park" memories are of riding the water chutes at both places. I've even got cine film footage of a 7 year old furie at Rhyl on the Ski Jump, Scrambler and Water Chute (then off to the sea front for sand castles and BMXing).

Rhyl now is such a sad place when compared to such wonderful memories :(

It's odd how bob says that there's no viable market, yet Tir Prince is doing a storming trade, only a male down the road. Then again, it's not like that point can be taken onboard as it goes against Bob's programming :)
Furie and the lop-eared lagomorphs of Lucifer
Failed to Save the Cyclone :(
furie

Postby Coaster Manta » 14 Jan 2007, 16:31

This has nothing to do with the park not being profitable (although I'm sure it's not very profitable at present) it's a much needed but ill thought out attempt by the council to improve the area. There is an fantastic beach at Rhyl and they should be looking for ways to improve the area for day trippers and removing something that brings in some people and replacing it with an office block, some flats and a supermarket is not going to bring in floods of tourists - after all who wants to move to a crumbling seaside resort where there is high unemployment, high crime levels, high drug addiction and develops that is only going to make the situation worse. If you travel 5 miles east of Rhyl along the coast you come across a former tourist attraction that has been queitly rotting for the last 20 years - an ex ferry called The Duke of Marlborough is beached on the edge of an estury. If you travel 5 miles west you find Gwyrch Castle - a grade 1 listed stately home that has been derelict since the 1980s and is now in danger of collaspe. Two potential tourist attractions which are just rotting away and yet the council is content with it's ill conceived plans.
Without a Safety net your free to find serene pleasure of speed.
Coaster Manta

Postby bluea61 » 05 Feb 2007, 12:02

In my opinion the problem is it that these developments are working in some parts of the country therefore people are thinking it will work everywhere. The difference here is that Rhyl, Dreamland, Barry Isalnd etc are tourist towns. People come to the town for the tourist attractions.

With the funfair going, that will spell trouble for the other tourism based buinesses. Nothing is pulling people to Rhyl and an Asda is not going to make me want to go there, I have one less than a mile from my house.

I went to Rhyl last year and had a great time and would have gone back. If the right investement was made then the tourism could flourish again.
Steve
bluea61

Postby kevinashe » 14 Feb 2007, 20:57

saw pictures on another site(taken feb 11)water chute is still standing as is a red and white rollercoaster(which i am surpised that a smaller park hasnt tried to get) along with a twister unit and a few half dismantled rides and i am assuming that these will bocme the property of the site owners(asda)if they are not removed soon
kevinashe

Postby bluea61 » 15 Feb 2007, 07:58

What site is that on?

I'd guess that if its the non-looping coaster next to the Water Chute it is the Jet Stream rollercoaster a standard Pinfari Z64 or if it is the looping coaster it is the Pepsi Loop a standard Pinfari ZL42 both red and white.

The park along the road, Williams Amusements, already has a non-looping Pinfari so I guess most people don't know of its availability. There was talk of the Water Chute going there also but not confirmed.
Steve
bluea61

Postby Gary » 11 Mar 2007, 19:17

Paul Beesley sent some images from a very sad looking Ocean Beach to themagiceye.

Old news but the pending plans still have the power to send shudders down my spine:

"Demolition and redevelopment of 7.625 hectares of land to provide a mixed use development comprising 217 residential apartments, hotel, assembly and leisure, business, retail, cafes, restaurants and public houses, car parking, new public realm and ancillary uses together with associated highways and other works, including 10 no. 6kw wind turbines and 3 no. potential PV solar installations"

Wind turbines??

http://www.themagiceye.co.uk/lps.html
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby bluea61 » 12 Mar 2007, 11:47

Thanks for the photos, its funny it doesn't look a great deal different to when we went there this year. I think we were lucky (or unlucky) enough to catch the last ever day of trading. It looked pretty much the same as the photos show. They did think they would get maybe one or two more seasons but that obviously was proved wrong.

They were actually pulling the Runaway Train to pieces as we were there, they had cut through the Pepsi Loops power cable to remove the runaway train but couldn't get it running again.

I'm suprised that for the length of time it's been closed some of the rides haven't been sold, like the Jet Stream or the Pepsi Loop or even some of the flats, Waltzer etc.

Overall a shame, we had a really good day at Rhyl and would have visited again.
Steve
bluea61

Postby Gary » 21 Mar 2007, 19:16

Rhyl. Television. Funfair. Video. Type thingy.

http://www.nwtv.co.uk/pages/news/modus/modus2.htm

Best in Broadband..I recognise that postcard at the beginning of the clip...
Gary

Postby Gary » 26 Mar 2007, 07:38

There may be life in the old place yet.. :D

This sent to themagiceye this AM:

I think somebody has jumped the gun over the proposed demolition of Rhyl funfair...Because believe it or not they are putting it back together as i speak 25/03/2007...after near enough clearing the site and the end of last season...imagine us locals faces when they started to put it back up again...so the article on the home page is very premature..i read your site often and thought you should no as soon as possible....as Rhyl Ocean funfair lives on for at least another season. Thanks steve holmes Rhyl

Postponing the inevitable, maybe.. but time at least to go and experience the place one last time.

That's got to be good news..

Anyone got any further news?

Maybe I should change the name of themagiceye article from The Last Picture Show to The Penultimate Picture Show.. :-)

Gary
Gary

Next

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum