End of Rhyl Funfair

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Postby porterm » 27 Mar 2007, 02:23

Gary - I saw a post on this very thing at southportcyclone.com yesterday too. I hope it is true as I failed to get down there after Oakwood last August and I'd love to take a nostalgic trip back on their Water Chute and Jetstream roller coaster. (Both of which I've never ridden).

Can anyone post any pictures? (I'd just like to see some proof of the aforementioned rides existance)

Martin
porterm

Postby pbeesley » 29 Mar 2007, 17:23

Hi Martin,
I have a few pictures of the water chute taken last year, they are from the set Gary has. Theres a couple of hundred in total, for the complete set

http://ridemad.com/photo/main.php?g2_itemId=1964&g2_GALLERYSID=129c80b39c4f3bd1fcc9f1c76425f986

For just water chute I put some on my blog.

http://ridemad.com/rhyls-waterchute-a-final-look

Im Hoping I can get out to Rhyl at the weekend im only an hours drive away, anything new ill be sure to post them.

Hope this helps
Paul
pbeesley

Postby Nick » 31 Mar 2007, 08:00

For me, the saddest picture is of the legendary Ghost Train now all boarded up:

http://ridemad.com/photo/main.php?g2_itemId=12215
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby furie » 02 Apr 2007, 09:04

Nick wrote:For me, the saddest picture is of the legendary Ghost Train now all boarded up:

http://ridemad.com/photo/main.php?g2_itemId=12215

That's pretty terrible. I went to the park last year and it was heartbreaking just being around the area. I've cine footage of me on a family holiday in Rhyl around the late 70's. The place was absolutely heaving and I used to love the annual holidays over there.

We still head to the area every year, but we've spent less time in Rhyl year on year. There's just not enough to keep a young family entertained there. The idea of parking close to Ocean Beach, and taking kids past the derelict houses, boarded up shops and junkies on the corners was also getting too much too. Shame on you Rhyl!
Furie and the lop-eared lagomorphs of Lucifer
Failed to Save the Cyclone :(
furie

Postby pbeesley » 04 Apr 2007, 10:25

Hi,
Yes the place is a mess. Ive just found out the fair will be open this weekend.

I didnt manage to get over last week, but ill be there this weekend at some point.

Cheers
Paul
pbeesley

Postby furie » 04 Apr 2007, 12:51

I'm very interested to know if they're running the water chute as well as the travelling rides.

I'm quite tempted to make a run over there to try and grab a last few rides on the Chute if I can before it vanishes forever.
furie

Postby pbeesley » 06 Apr 2007, 18:22

Hi Guys,
I didnt make it last weekend but went over today and can confirm its definately open. :D

Most of the rides are the same as last year plus a couple of new juvenille rides.

Nick, youll be pleased to know the signage on the ghost train is back and they have introduced string and tennis balls this year for additional scares. Its a great ride.

Furie - the chute was out of action today, but looking at it I dont see any reason for it not to be open any time soon.

We had a really nice day in Rhyl today, some of the front has been developed with some nice apartments 2 bedrooms starting at 170k with a sea view and the local area and town seemed very busy.

Heres some pics and a bit of text.

http://ridemad.com/rhyl-ocean-beach-2007#more-59

Cheers
Paul
pbeesley

Postby Nick » 06 Apr 2007, 18:25

Thanks for posting the link. And great to hear that the Ghost Train is operating.

Hopefully the Water Chute will be running as well shortly.

Plesae keep us updated.

I must get down there again for another "one last time"!
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
Nick
Site Admin

Postby porterm » 07 Apr 2007, 01:05

Nick et al,

Maybe we could organise a "groupie" visit sometime as I'd also love to ride the Water Chute and Jetstream (mainly as I believe it was taken from the now defunct Battersea Funfair which closed in 1974 if memory serves me right).

After our trip to Oakwood & Coney Beach last Saturday I thought this would be as good a reason as any for a reunion. How's about the first Sunday in August as I normally go to the European Coaster Club's Oakwood weekender that weekend? (that runs Friday-Saturday)

Martin :D
porterm

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 07 Apr 2007, 06:30

According to http://www.themagiceye.co.uk/vikingar2.html , the Battersea Water Chute was the one that ended up at Dreamland, but it is described as being demolished in 1995.

According to http://www.thegalloper.com/backstories/ ... elake.html , the Rhyl Water Chute was originally at the Southend Kursaal (Both articles are by Nick)
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Nick » 07 Apr 2007, 06:39

You are right, Martin. The Jet Stream does originate from Battersea Fun Fair.

An August visit to Ocean Beach sounds like a good idea. I would certainly like to see it just the one last time.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
Nick
Site Admin

Postby furie » 08 Apr 2007, 22:33

Nick wrote:An August visit to Ocean Beach sounds like a good idea. I would certainly like to see it just the one last time.

I'm happy to head up there too. I WILL give support to Rhyl and Southport if they are putting something on. They're places I misspent my youth, so deserve my custom and to prove they are still viable. I'd do the same with Margate if it wasn't so far away (I managed last year, but it's a full weekend trip, and I'm afraid to say, there's just not enough to drag me there for a weekend every year!)

My last ride on the Water Chute was fantastic. It was a thrilling as I remembered and just absolutely great fun. I'd love to get another pop at riding it if possible.
furie

Postby pbeesley » 10 Apr 2007, 17:17

Hi,
It certainly looks like it might be the "final year", I got this from a ECC mailer that was sent out lastnight.

Resorts locked into sharp spiral of decline

Apr 9 2007

Like Southport and Margate before, the famous funfair at Rhyl will close due to the decline in the domestic holiday market. Darren Devine asks what the future holds for traditional Welsh funfairs as seaside resorts struggle in the face of competition from cheap foreign holidays

Darren Devine, Western Mail

AT about 6pm on Sunday, September 30, this year, the ghost train at Rhyl funfair will echo to the sound of delighted screams for the last time in the amusement park's 96-year history.

No more will the waltzers spin through space to the sound of eardrum-bursting pop or the roller- coaster race to a stomach-churning dip before beginning another terrifying ascent.

For generations of children from cities like Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham, who enjoyed summer holidays in the resort from its 1960s heyday onwards, Rhyl was synonymous with its Ocean Beach amusement park.

But in common with funfairs in resort towns all over the UK, Rhyl has been facing challenging times brought on by a domestic holiday market in decline and competition from other forms of entertainment.

In South Wales, the funfairs at Barry Island and Porthcawl have been grappling with the same difficulties.

Full story

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news ... _page.html

Cheers
Paul
pbeesley

Postby kevinashe » 10 Apr 2007, 20:30

at least a warning that it will close at the end of september,sad though it is and also the current owner is 65 so probably the sale will be his retirement fund.At least it gives time for someone to save the water chute and the 2 coasters
kevinashe

Postby bluea61 » 12 Apr 2007, 11:46

Looking at the pictures it looks a lot cleaner and the Ski Jump looks like it has had a paint job. Either that or the pictures show it in a really good light!

I hope that something can be down with the Water Chute. Excellent little ride for a smaller sized park. The Jet Stream was pretty decent too, had a nice first drop. Didn't get to do the Pepsi Loop when we were there but its the same as Turbo at Brighton, just a little cleaner looking so I'm sure its ok!
Steve
bluea61

PreviousNext

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum