english heritage refused to list at pleasureland southport

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

english heritage refused to list at pleasureland southport

Postby kevinashe » 14 Feb 2007, 20:48

english heritage have refused to list the fun house,river caves,caterpillar and haunted inn rides at southport.On the reasons for refusal to list that were sent to me most said there had been too much modification over the years and it also said that there was a possible buyer for the site and a possible application for a mixed use site although no application had been made yet
kevinashe

Postby bluea61 » 15 Feb 2007, 07:53

"Mixed Use" sounds like a Waterbridge application!
Steve
bluea61

Postby EAS » 15 Feb 2007, 21:01

And much of it was twaddle designed not to list, not based on real issues regarding listing. Any excuse was made.

I am making an appeal. It may not get anywhere but it will point out again the uselessness of EH over all this.

EH doesn't list, it's the Secretary of State. They give advice, and they can be wrong at times.

What has muddied the waters dreadfully was an application to list the caterpillar (not by me) as that was basically a travelling ride not a structure built on the site.

Any buyer for the site, any supposed future use has nothing at all to do with the listing process.

The main difficulty is the comparatively recent age of the structures, and the fact Cyclone is now gone and so has Group Value.

The assertion that these could be deemed 'leisure related curiosities' and of passing but not enduring interest is a farce, as the claim these are of local interest only. It's my view they should be listed for social history not architecture.

If anyone has any pics or information relating to the Haunted Inn when it was in its former guise as a Crooked House please do let me know.

It's my understanding that little changed.

Also - the boats for the River Caves are sitting outside. The important thing is not the dioramas as claimed but the caves, boatways etc.
EAS

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum