New Dickens Theme Park in Kent?

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

New Dickens Theme Park in Kent?

Postby EAS » 16 Apr 2007, 19:32

I did think at first this a late April 1st joke but:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6559197.stm
EAS

Postby Neil » 16 Apr 2007, 21:47

I too thought it was a joke when I first heard, but it seems to be serious enough. I think it could work, even though it doesn't look like it will fill a whole day when it first opens. The comments left are interesting. I agree that Dickens isn't jolly like Disneyland, however attractions such as the Dungeons (e.g. London, York etc) aren't a barrel of laughs either, but are good fun. It sounds like one of these Victorian towns like at Flambards, but with a few rides thrown in for good measure. If so I'm sure there will be possibilties to expand it if it takes off.

At any rate it's good to see the tourism industry trying to be innovative
As someone has said in the comments, it's difficult to tell what it will be like until it opens. Nevertheless you get the impression that the people behind it her enthusiastic and know what they're doing.
Neil Wilson
Neil

Postby Neil » 24 Apr 2007, 08:00

So after years of parks closing and no new parks opening we now have this Dickens World and the Gullivers Eco Park plus a new 'water park' in Southport. It seems that both parks are innovative and going for the edutainment sector, and hopefully both will succeed. It looks like it could be a decent season, coupled with the new Schwarzkopf at Camelot and Alton Towers showing us that they still can do themed attractions. Hopefully both parks will do well, as they both seem to be putting in a real effort. Hopefully the amusement parks can befit from this, although it looks as depressing as ever with Pleasureland's closure, Ocean Beach going, Coney beach talking bout closure, Barry Island apparently going, Blackpool Pleasure Beach being downsized presumably towards closure.

When I first heard about Dickens World I admit I was sceptical, but I have to say that through heavy theming, some creative ride ideas and a seemingly good understanding of business they have won me over. Perhaps I'm posting this to show I can be won over if someone works hard enough. I've been won over by the Dickens park, and I could be won over by Waterbridge or even Amanda Thompson. It's just that the talk of housing, closing down parks, demolishing historic rides, making staff redundant doesn't cut the mustard as far as I'm concerned.

If my post has a message it is perhaps this. That I am open to new ideas, that there are people willing to invest in British toruism and that there are forms of regeneration other than the money grabbing schemes that Amanda Thompson, Jimmy Godden and Toby Hunter seem to believe in. Lets hope these are positive signs of things to come, but I can't help worrying that this amusement industry high will be short lived.

http://www.gulliverseco-park.org/
Neil Wilson
Neil

Postby EAS » 24 Apr 2007, 19:23

I think that you hit the nail... money grubbing. And that's the problem with too many existing owners, who wish to cash in and to hell with heritage.

New parks area leap of faith I agree, but the owners must think they are viable.

If not I suppose we will be back to the same old story, mixed use development... and a conference centre!
EAS

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum