fletch - moon river

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

fletch - moon river

Postby aflack » 30 Jan 2003, 16:05

ficiency exported. For efficient secretion, tures of human blood group A, B, and triplicated. Depending on the region of
input data, which were CD spectra rep- from a 5-log standard curve illustrating the four indirectly because patents can foster ac
hi there, sorry for the late reply i did a diagnostic test and they said it was the third injector that was gone I did replace that but still having the same problem The problem with the car is th
Recently,X. tropicalishas been identified as to be one of the main regions responsi- when several kinds of degenerative influ
Last edited by aflack on 07 Sep 2010, 08:25, edited 2 times in total.
aflack

Postby Graeme » 30 Jan 2003, 18:52

My understanding is that they will get a small steel coaster this year called "Twizzler Bendz". I suspect it will be a new Pinfari, but I don't know that. I'm looking forward to it though.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about Pier Drop, other than it will open 2004, go over the Pier and be like a steel scenic railway or switchback.

Sorry, that's all I know. It's nice this park is always doing something though, isn't it?
Graeme

Postby aflack » 31 Jan 2003, 09:36

I know the park markets itself as a family park and it has got some good attractions. They installed 3 thrill rides the other year but two of them were practically the same. I think a drop tower similar to Detonator at Thorpe Park would benefit them a hell of a lot, it would certainely make me visit me and with the obvious lack of space the park has it would be very space effective.
aflack

Postby Nick » 31 Jan 2003, 23:07

I think that what Philip Miller (the owner of Adventure Island) has done for Southend is fantastic. It may not have the most thrilling rides, but in my view the park is a great day out. Miller was rewarded for his efforts to regenerate Southend with an MBE in the New Years Honours list.

I haven't heard anything else about Pier Drop since the news was first announced.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Fraser » 01 Feb 2003, 14:21

Were any specs given at announcement?
I hope Pier drop (aaagh dreadful pun!!!) doesn't turn into another "Swine".
Fraser

Postby Nick » 01 Feb 2003, 18:48

No specifications have been released, to the best of my knowledge.

It is unlikely to turn into another Swine. Remember, the backers of Swine were basically unknowns (I can't even remember who were behind it now!), and they were making several over the top claims. Pier Drop is an Adventure Island project. Generally, when Philip Miller announces something, it gets built. He is, I think, the Geoffrey Thompson of the South. It would be nice to see his skills used in the management of other parks.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » 02 Feb 2003, 14:22

Fraser, it won't be another SWINE! :) SWINE was a very strange project by a company wanting to build a huge, expensive ride at the end of the Pier.

Adventure Island themselves are very reliable. Their only setback in recent years was the Zamperla Fireball, which was a shame, as they did that in good faith.

I much admire Adventure Island. I have to say though, it is probably my favourite park that I don't like! It's a nice park, but I think the rides jump straight from children's rides to very intense rides. Two of the thrill rides they got last year, Dragon's Claw and the other one (not Scorpion), are very intimidating and off-putting. To be honest, Scorpion was the only one I rode. Dragon's Claw looked to spend too long upside-down and the other one looked too fast and intense. A large coaster like Nemesis is far less intimidating than things like these, I feel.

Their coasters too; Barnstormer is right for its size, but Green Scream should be more thrilling than it is, considering its size. Imagine what CCI could have done with that sort of height. I hope we don't end up with four family/children's coasters. But Twizzler Bends could pack a punch and Pier Drop will hopefully be as thrilling as a wooden scenic railway (or more).

The enclosed water slide is not as fast as most, eg. Oakwood's Snake River Falls and the pirate ship, they would be much better off with a Huss. But on the bright side, Archelon is an excellent, colourful ride and they also went to the effort of installing a completely custom, highly stylised ghost train.

Here's to the future of the park (and I'd love to see what they could do at Margate).
Graeme

Postby tash_xx » 10 Jun 2004, 18:07

IM afraid to say Pier drop could never get p0lanning permission as "it would destroy the scenic beauty of the pier". Personally i dont think it would make much difference and the pier needs something down with it. "Twizzler bends" is the mighty mini mega and is no more thrilling than the barnstormer and green slime.

The fireball was a shame as it was a good little ride when it worked but unfortunately it spent more time off service than in so only spent one season in the park.

I have to say Dragons claw is a bit intense and is a bit of a misfit in that park. but i love it. The Vortex is not as bad as it looks and is not actually not much different from the scorpion. Its a great ride to go on after the water rides, you go on there soaking and come of completely dry but then Archeleon has the same effect.

The green terror tube used to be more intense but for some reason they were forcved to put lighting in there and it kinda lost its appeal after that.

As for the drop ride idea we now have our sky drop, and for the lless adventurous there is the drop n smile
every day is a new magical adventure
tash_xx

Postby Graeme » 12 Jun 2004, 11:40

Tash,

Thanks for the info. I did write that a very long time ago and have been to Adventure Island since.

I thought Mini Mega was a very neat ride. A junior coaster, yes, but some good drops in the back car! Ramba Zamba was colourful and good fun. Sky Drop was the only ride closed that day, but no big deal. It looked a very good choice.

So, they've definitely installed some more well-chosen rides since I posted that! I'd still like that KMG Afterburner 16 though! :wink:

It's a shame you can't go over the pier for a coaster, but could a good ride be made by keeping it over one side of the park? Anyway, obviously Philip Miller knows whats sort of coaster is needed, and I'm sure he'll build it if it's possible. Unfortunately, I see that Southend remained controlled by the Conservatives. I'm not making a political judgement; just saying it means it's the same people who wouldn't let him build Pier Drop. :(
Graeme

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum