The Rotor

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

The Rotor

Postby adethestokie » 13 Jul 2007, 21:15

Anyone remember this wicked ride at Rhyl's Ocean Beach?
It looked like a wall of death, except their were no motorbikes.
You entered the circular room. Backs to the wall, then the floor rose up about half way. Then the room spun at some rediculous speed untill you stuck to the wall, then the floor dropped back to its original poistion, and gravity stuck you to the wall.
I think there was another somewhere else, perhaps Bournmouth if my memory serves me correctly.
Of course we all no there would be no chance of such ride existing today due to health and saftey reasons. One thing was for sure I only experienced once, that was enough, but boy what a ride.
Anyone no when it was taken down?
adethestokie

Postby Gary » 13 Jul 2007, 21:33

Hi!

I remember one at Clarence Pier in Southsea (I think)

The public could view it from above.

I may be wrong..lost in the misty eyed wilderness that is my brain

Gary
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby adethestokie » 13 Jul 2007, 21:38

Must have been Southsea, yes people could view from above your right.

Any idea when the one at Rhyl closed Gary?
adethestokie

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 13 Jul 2007, 21:57

There have been a few over the years- there was one at Margate a few years ago. Typically riding cost twice as much as viewing.
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Gary » 14 Jul 2007, 08:28

adethestokie wrote:Must have been Southsea, yes people could view from above your right.

Any idea when the one at Rhyl closed Gary?

No, but I know a man who probably does and he reads these forums..

Calling Phil Gould..

In an article he wrote for themagiceye called Welsh Wonders he mentioned going on the Rotor and feeling sick as a dog afterwards..

I'll see if I can find out..

Gary
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby adethestokie » 14 Jul 2007, 09:15

Thanks for that, and if you will, ask him if he as any information on Frith Beach fair.. i.e when the fair shut there, and any old photos of the place.

Thanks Very Much..
adethestokie

Postby lutonlad » 15 Jul 2007, 19:46

There is still one at wicksteed park in kettering. This has been there for a number of years. Im 28 now, and i remember watching from above at about 8 years old.

Lutonlad
lutonlad

Postby Nick » 15 Jul 2007, 21:15

I believe the Wicksteed Rotor has been removed and is now at Rundles.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby RJW » 16 Jul 2007, 06:19

There were three rotors at Cambridge Midsummer Fair last month, so there must still be a good business in spinning people around at nearly 30rpm!

There aren't really any Health and Safety issues regarding the ride - unless you have a dodgy ticker, or you are of particularly large build. The standard way of ending ride is to simply slow down the drum, thus reducing the upwards frictional force between the rider and the wall - which is all that is holding the rider up.

Note - It is your clothes that "stick" to the wall - friction between you and your clothes hold you up. Can get painful if you are wearing slippery clothes against your skin... ;-)

Rob
RJW

Ocean Beach Rotor

Postby Phil Gould » 21 Jul 2007, 19:35

I remember the Rotor at Ocean Beach. In the 60s it was on the back row next to the Lighthouse Slip and Fun House. It was a lot larger than the Rotors that are found travelling on fairgounds today.

When the park was modernised in the early 70s the Rotor was moved to the corner of the back row where the Water Chute now stands. I only ever rode it once and, as Gary said in an earlier post, felt sick as a dog when I got off.

The Rotor was removed when the Water Chute, from Southend's Kursaal, was installed at Ocean Beach. I have no idea what happened to the ride.

I know there was another Rotor of similar size at Battersea's Festival Gardens. When this park closed the ride was cut down and operarted at Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach before being moved to Skegness. This ride still travels on fairgrounds today.

Ffrith Beach at Prestatyn was a much smaller park and aimed at young familes and children. In the 60s there was a boating lake, Skyline Slip and childrens rides. On the opposite side of the car park was a go-kart track, amusement arcade and Dodgems.

In the 70s this park was also modernised. A new amusement arcade was built next to the boating lake. In the centre of the lake they constructed a model Noah's Ark. The Dodgems were moved to the main amusement area and other adult rides introduced including an Astroglide, Lighthouse Slip, Gallopers and Ghost Train. A continental playground was also added
but you had to pay an additional charge to go in.

This continued to operate until the mid 90s when Rhuddlan Council decided the park needed a makeover. All the amusements were removed and they created the Festival Gardens, which was nothing short of a disaster. The park lies derelict today although I think there might be plans to redevelop it as a tourist attraction.

I'm afraid I don't have any photos of the Ocean Beach Rotor or Ffrith Beach.
Phil Gould

Postby kevinashe » 27 Jul 2007, 22:14

m&ds own one too it travels about scotland regularly,havent seen it so far this year yet
kevinashe

Postby adethestokie » 28 Jul 2007, 16:42

Are you sure when you mention these Rotor's at travelling fairs, your not getting confused with that ride where you all stand in a rotating cage, then it tilts on its side?
adethestokie

Postby furie » 30 Jul 2007, 09:33

adethestokie wrote:Are you sure when you mention these Rotor's at travelling fairs, your not getting confused with that ride where you all stand in a rotating cage, then it tilts on its side?

No, I saw a "proper" Rotor at the Goose fair this year. First time I've ever seen one though. It was the "wall of death" style, with the stands at the top for people to peer in at the people riding.
Furie and the lop-eared lagomorphs of Lucifer
Failed to Save the Cyclone :(
furie

Postby kevinashe » 30 Jul 2007, 15:43

thats similar to the one m&ds have,ill look out for it and if i can take a picture of it
kevinashe

the rotorocean beach rhyl

Postby andy1077 » 23 Dec 2007, 19:02

i remember the rotor at rhyl, my older brothers used to ride it early
70's ,i ws only about 6 at the time ,although a few years later i did
go on it a lot.i remember it cost 15p and you could watch first and then go on .i have many great memories of rhyl,sadly my own kids wont :roll:
andy1077

Next

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum