Disney World Florida: Trip Report without pics: Second Bit

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Disney World Florida: Trip Report without pics: Second Bit

Postby Gary » 09 Sep 2007, 19:40

By 815 am we were heading towards Asia.

That's Asia at Animal Kingdom of course. :)

These "Magic Hours" - available to all guests who stay on the Disney Resort - allowed us to enter an hour or so before the gates opened to the general public.

Of course Asia and Africa - Those parts of the themed park that are home to the two most popular attractions - just happened to be the furthest apart in the park.

I guess it splits up the crowds.

We decided to get a Fastpass for Kilimanjaro Safari and go on Expedition Everest...even if it was 815 in the morning.

..and I had not long eaten pancakes and bacon with maple syrup just half an hour before..

Why do I eat things like this on holiday? I ask myself

After all, I'm a toast and tea guy normally..

Anyways..I digress..

It was a very very hot morning.

Animal Kingdom is home to more than 1,700 animals representing 250 different species and is accredited to the American Zoo and Aquarium Association.

This from Birnbaum's Official Guide:

The park's layout is relatively simple: a series of sections or "lands" connected to a central hub. The hub is Discovery Island, an island surrounded by a river and home to The Tree of Life, the park's icon. A set of bridges connects Discovery Island with other lands."

The lands being the aforementioned Asia and Africa, Dinoland USA, Oasis and er..Camp Minnie-Mickey.

The park is beautifully themed although I have to admit at thinking the pathways are a little on the narrow side and you do spend some time "backtracking" on yourself - but that is just splitting hairs.

I'm not going to spoil anything by revealing the rides' secrets but rather just pass brief personal opinions on them:

Expedition Everest: Fantastic theming - Smoke coming from under the tracks as the train leaves the station - That sort of thing - You queue through a Yetti Museum!!

Overall though I have to say I was slightly disappointed with the ride itself. (Wife and daughter disagreed - They loved it)

I actually came off feeling nauseated..It says more about me than the ride though!

It's tough to be a Bug: Fantastic 4D Show - Theatre is below The Tree of Life - A spectacle in itself.

Kilimanjaro Safari - For me the best attraction there. Riding in the back of a Jeep through "rivers and over rickety bridges and chasing a poacher" offered up wonderful entertainment and the chance to view animals close up.

Kali River Rapids - Great theming but a little short...and I didn't get too wet!!..Not getting wet is a plus for some but..well..I expect to get wet on these rides - especially in the heat...Beware those persons that put 25 cents in a water cannon towards the end of the ride.. :-)

Rafiki's Planet Watch - We boarded a train for a five minute trip to a section of the park that was really educational and had many interactive / read, listen and learn features.

Vets carry out required operations on animals in a hospital here early mornings which you can watch if you wish if you turn up early enough..

ALL the park employees we met were willing to share and impart information and obviously knew their stuff.

Dinoland USA had the appearance of a brightly lit up fairground but done with so much panache and style.

It's lead ride is Dinosaur formerly known as the dark ride "Countdown to Extinction"

It's a combination track ride and motion simulator. In synch with visuals it bumps, jostles and turns. What can I say.. Scary + fun = excellent.

Primeval Whirl is a spinning coaster - Good, but after attractions like Dinosaur and Safari - it's just OK.

If you get the chance to go don't dismiss the walkthrough trails either..Up close with gigantic bats, all types of birds and tigers and plenty of those well informed employees.

And I didn't even mention the shows that were there..

I'll let you know how we got on at EPCOT (featuring Soarin' and Test Track) in the third bit of this report next week some time.
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum