Disney World Florida: Trip Report without pics: Fourth Bit

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Disney World Florida: Trip Report without pics: Fourth Bit

Postby Gary » 23 Sep 2007, 19:52

Magic Kingdom's Main Street Florida loses out by a mile to Magic Kingdom Main Street Paris in my opinion.

Paris' Main Street has 'soul' boasting two great covered walkways running parallel with each other down each side of Main Street packed full of imagineering and atmosphere.

Florida has no covered walkways and has lost some of its magic since my last visit.

It used to boast a 'cinema' on Main Street where you could stand and watch some of the old cartoons that made Walt great.

Alas it is no more. A shop packed to the rafters with souvenirs has taken its place.

In my humble opinion, Magic Kingdom Florida probably loses out to Paris in many departments to be honest in terms of architecture and overall theming but Florida does boast some fantastic rides that you wont find at Paris..

I LOVE Splash Mountain..Exiting the mountain at a couple of points high up and then entering the mountain again, then speeding down Slippin' Falls, passing through "The Happy Place", getting wet and then following the story of Song of the South as you go..(Er..except for a character called Brer Frog who appears to have replaced Uncle Remus..)
The showboat at the end is very well done..and the final splash is excellent.

15 years ago, when it had just opened Ann and I queued for over two hours for a ride on this.

2007 and we walked on Splash Mountain during the park's Magic Hours (Opened 1 hr early for Disney hotel guests)..Queues did of course build up later on.

It may be 15 years old but to me this remains one fantastic ride and up there with Disney's very best rides.

Kudos to to Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin..Highly addictive ride involving shooting at targets with laser guns and amassing as many points as possible.

No ride on this is ever the same.

I would also like to plug a ride that never has a queue and is always walkon..It used to be called the WEDway People Mover - Now renamed The Tomorrowland Transit Authority (TTA)..This from somewhere in Google Land:

The TTA is a 10 mph ride that highlights all the attractions of Tomorrowland, including an inside tour of Space Mountain. Formerly known as the WEDWay People Mover, this attraction is one of the many that got a major makeover in 1994 with the new Tomorrowland. A strange thing about this attraction is that while the first part of the ride and the very last part of the ride features new architectural surroundings, the middle part of the ride is still painted and designed the way it was when it opened in 1975.

Tomorrowland also boasts Stich's Great Escape..Strange attraction this one..Sit down, lights go out, Stitch burps in your face (You get to smell the stuff) and lots more besides.

Sadly The Haunted Mansion was shut during our stay - We were aware of this before we left these shores but there is just so much to see and do in the park it didn't detract from our enjoyment.

Fantasyland is home to a magnificent 4D show: Mickey's Philharmagic!!

It opened about 4 years ago and the story unfolds on a 150 foot wide screen..Special effects take place on and Off screen..Great!!

We weren't disappointed by The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh either..It replaced Mr Toad's Wild Ride some years back so it had a lot to live up to...I'm happy to say that its a delight of a 3.5 minute ride and takes place on a blustery day when the east winds trades places with the west winds..(or something like that..)

The Magic Carpets of Aladdin provided a good 2 minute fun ride but the heat of the day was at its greatest when we rode this attraction and we were glad to get off and escape to the tranquil cool courtesy of the air conditioning inside one of the many shops.

Shops is an unfair term..These places are monumental shopping palaces enclosed behind great facades and just happen to offer up everything Disney can throw at you.

The longest queues anywhere in The Magic Kingdom were for meeting and greeting the characters themselves..up to 60 mins at one point I saw..Still..it's magical for the kids..

Isabel (She's 10) enjoyed buying the Disney pins (Hundreds of different designs at about £3 each) and then swapping with employees around the park..

There's so much to do and see and talk about when posting about Magic Kingdom and DisneyWorld..I'll add some more of my own observations and talk about a couple more attractions in the final part of my trip reports some time next week..
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum