Stealth, Thorpe Park

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Stealth, Thorpe Park

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 24 Oct 2007, 18:23

I took the kids to Thorpe Park the other day. I particularly wanted to go on "Stealth", and Charlie was brave enough to ride it with me, twice!

0-80 mph in 1.9 seconds, following the latest tweaks to the nitrogen
launcher. In other words it accelerates from standstill twice as fast as
Lewis Hamilton's McLaren which does 0-60 in 3 seconds.

Here's some footage (not mine)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XIOK73JNV3A

Absolutely fantastic, and unlike anything I've ever been on before!
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby EAS » 24 Oct 2007, 23:12

Good grief :shock:
EAS

Re: Stealth, Thorpe Park

Postby furie » 25 Oct 2007, 10:35

Vince, Charlie and Sam wrote:0-80 mph in 1.9 seconds, following the latest tweaks to the nitrogen
launcher. In other words it accelerates from standstill twice as fast as
Lewis Hamilton's McLaren which does 0-60 in 3 seconds.

LOL! I've got to confirm this (I know the engineer who looks after Stealth), but they didn't tweak anything other than the distance used to measure the launch.

Initially it was from the station to the end of the launch run, but then they realised that if it "free-wheels" for a fair while before hitting the end of the launch run, so they altered the timings to end when it disengages from the catch car (the little lump of metal which drags the train along the launch).

Call it a tweak, re-advertise it as being faster and you have a fantastic piece of theme park spin.

The difference to me and you? Nothing at all.

Rita at Alton Towers has a slightly faster acceleration rate, but is still measured from station to end of launch section. I wouldn't like to say that Tussauds were trying to plump Stealth up as being their best launch or anything... ;)

Still, Stealth is a definite buzz, and the views from the top are fantastic. I'd probably put it as joint second with Rita out of the accelerators I've been on (Speed Monster at Tusenfryd in Norway is by far my favourite).
Furie and the lop-eared lagomorphs of Lucifer
Failed to Save the Cyclone :(
furie

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 25 Oct 2007, 12:38

Thanks for the info Furie. How is is launched? The sign outside mentions strong magnetic fields, is it partially electromagnetic is is that just a bit of spin too?

I will be going to Alton Towers next year, for the first time in 7 years, I'll look forward to riding that!
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby furie » 25 Oct 2007, 13:20

It's a very simple system really. I don't know the exact ins and outs of the hydraulic launch, but.

The train is attached underneath (second car back I think, but it may be the third) to a "catch car". This is a simple hook kind of device which runs on a trolley, down the centre of the launch track. The train is maneuvered forwards over the catch car, then back to that the "hook" engages". I don't think it's an actual hook, more a block really.

When it gets ready to launch, you feel the train move slightly forwardsa nd back, that's it getting onto the catch car.

Liquid Nitrogen is pumped into a hydraulic system and put under immense pressure.

This is released through a winch mechanism, which pulls the catch car at incredible speeds. The train, being attached, follows along. About halfway down the launch track, the catch car trough dips downwards, so the catch car releases from the train. Magentic brakes stop the catch car. the train carries on along the launch track, over the winch and hydraulics house and up into the ride.

The magnets are used entirely for braking systems. Before launch, two rows of metal "fins" come up down the launch section. These are powerful magnetic plates. If the car should launch prematurely, or with fault, the fins bring the train to a damn quick stop.

Just before the train launches, the fins lower back into the track, and the train sales over them. There's another set on the hill at the far side where you stop. Again, powerful magnets which stop the train.

I think that's about it really :)

I'm sure you'll love Alton if you've not been there for a good few years. I can recommend the hotels if you can get a good deal. We stopped a couple of years back as a treat (even though we only live 15 or so miles away) and it was fantastic. The kids have had a few birthday parties in Cariba Creek too and they were superb. Plus, you get two days in the park, so it's a good opportunity to have a relaxed couple of days soaking it all in.
Furie and the lop-eared lagomorphs of Lucifer
Failed to Save the Cyclone :(
furie

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 25 Oct 2007, 22:47

Thanks for the explanation about Stealth, I am "mechanics mad" and just have to know how something works once I have seen it!

Am looking forward to Alton Towers, I have been on Oblivion and Nemesis- which were fantastic- but I know they have new rides now. "Air" looks good.

It will be have to be next year now, I am planning to take the boys away for a few days and want to take in Drayton Manor on the same trip.

We did Chessington, Pleasurewood Hills and Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach this year.

I must just add that good as "Stealth" was, it wasn't a patch on the Dreamland Scenic Railway!
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Stealth/Ria

Postby mesmoland » 26 Oct 2007, 22:28

:D I like Stealth for a good short kick,The acceleration on Rita feels better but it's a let down after that, as Stealth still has more to offer after the lunch.Check out my own film with front row footage: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-uxZH4KI_rY
Visit mesmoland on you tube "The World's First Cerebral Theme Park "
mesmoland

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 26 Oct 2007, 22:51

LOL, that is a brilliant POV! :D :D :D
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby mesmoland » 26 Oct 2007, 23:23

Thank you !!
Visit mesmoland on you tube "The World's First Cerebral Theme Park "
mesmoland

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum