Do the Thompsons want an excuse to close the Pleasure Beach?

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Do the Thompsons want an excuse to close the Pleasure Beach?

Postby kevin » 18 Feb 2008, 15:16

What with drastically reduced opening hours, and now a £5 admission charge. Reminds me of the Southport scenario!

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/black ... 3787255.jp
kevin

Postby furie » 19 Feb 2008, 16:31

The cynic in me says "looking for a case for sale due to lack of profitability".

The more realistic me says "desperately looking for income, in any form due to financial difficulties".

The realist version is based purely on a business standpoint. Business is slowing, and profits are down - they have to try and grab every penny they possibly can. It's worrying, but I think it's certainly NOT due to greed.

The cynic in me is obviously basing it's ideas on the treatment of Pleasureland. If the park had to be sold from the family due to the fact it was making losses, it's a very sad thing, but what could they do about it eh? (apart from walk away with millions of pounds each in their pockets)... At least nobody could blame anyone for 'not trying their hardest'...

Time will tell...
Furie and the lop-eared lagomorphs of Lucifer
Failed to Save the Cyclone :(
furie

Postby kevinashe » 19 Feb 2008, 18:25

nice to hear from you again phil,my concern is that the story broke on the gazette website and paper a few days after i found out and within litterally hours there were 100 plus comments over 2 seperate articles and most were totally against it.It goes totally against the parks ethos of being a working mans attraction within a working mans resort aiming at families. The supposed people they want to keep out will gladly pay a fiver while hard pressed families who have allready seen petrol rocket(up to 110 a litre up here)and gas and elec bills soar by 15% will stay away and my fear is that they will stay away from blackpool full stop
kevinashe

Postby uvegotmale2000 » 20 Feb 2008, 11:44

oh dear

call it deja vu.Looks like another Southport could be happening,

Dont the thompson family learn by their mistakes :roll:
uvegotmale2000

Postby furie » 20 Feb 2008, 15:51

kevinashe wrote:nice to hear from you again phil,

Sadly family, work and CoasterForce commitments have been very heavy the last few months, so it's hard to keep up my involvement on this side of things too :(

Anyway, as for Blackpool, I don't know how successful this will be, honestly, I really don't. Maybe Blackpool are looking at individual ticket sales, and just aren't seeing many sold - most people are using the wristbands.

You get five rides for a fiver (okay, kiddy rides, but I'll bet most people only put forward 5 rides when out with their ankle biters anyway).

Those wishing to do the big rides, the wristband has only ever been the way to go. Even in the dim and distant A,B,C ticket days (10 - 4 A, 4 b and 2 C I seem to recall for £15) - it was the best way to play on the big rides.

The biggest issue is one of "atmosphere" and "passing trade". As we saw, Southport lost out on both. Arcades not being used, and the nice new tea rooms left empty. Nobody standing around soaking up the joy of the rides and screams, but not actually daring to do any. It all adds up.

As I say, I think that the move had to be made - whether for an excuse as to why the park has failed, or as a last ditch chance to save it.

Whatever the reason, I think we'll suddenly see Blackpool for where it really stands. At the moment, it's the UK's most popular amusement park - Once people have to pay for entry, we'll see the turnstyle click drop, and finally get a true idea of just how popular the place is.

For me? I hope the place gets sold on quickly and to somebody who genuinely cares - rather than somebody who knows how to act...
Furie and the lop-eared lagomorphs of Lucifer
Failed to Save the Cyclone :(
furie

Postby kevinashe » 20 Feb 2008, 16:09

phil everytime ive been down the parks been busy even during the week,i have the same sentiments that the arcades and food outlets will see buisness drop quite considerably as many young people pump money in these things at a great speed. I myself wont go along other days just to get something to eat and soak up the atmosphere which anyway usually cost me a lot more!!!.ps phil have you heard anymore about the other thing we were talking about with regards to bpb,unfortunatly at the end of last year my hard drive packed in and i lost all contact email addresses and contacts with english heritage and sefton council
kevinashe

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum