Good News And Bad News (PBB/BPB Entry Charge)

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Postby EAS » 28 Feb 2008, 21:44

I'm not at all sure what the point is you are making?

And this is the Dreamland thread. We have done Pleasureland to death in the past and on the old Pleasureland forum. I'm simply, as is Furie, ensuring the record is straight. I will never go to PBB again, and I know many others who feel the same.

We have the chance to do something for Dreamland - PBB is really not in the same category.
EAS

Postby dave771 » 28 Feb 2008, 21:54

Can I just step in here ! This forum is not here for EAS and paul69 or any other members for that matter to argue with each other about how the Thompson family choose to run their business regardless of whether we think it is right or wrong! There is a facility to send private messages to each other if you would like to continue bitching with each other !
dave771

Postby EAS » 28 Feb 2008, 22:01

Excuse me - I am not bitching, I resent that slur, and the thread raised issues to which I have responded. I was mentioned by Furie and I agreed with him. I think possibly there is a great deal of which you are unaware, but let's have a straight record.

I don't think this is the thread for this, and I have brought it back to Dreamland. However, the Pleasureland and PBB management issues have been discussed here in the past.

I would suggest the keyboard happy on this site engage brain before being critical...
EAS

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 29 Feb 2008, 01:20

Let's all take a minute to calm down. They had a lively discussion going on, but were trading good information.
Sometimes without the vocal inflection, the written word can be taken more harshly than it was meant, especially if you think you're on the defensive.

These subjects actually do bear some discussing. There's a whole dichotomy of parks/attitudes/economy/history that need to to be understood and looked at, all bearing on the outcome of the fate of Dreamland. the more we all know about prevailing attitudes, the better equipped we are to influence them.
In addition, they give us something to do to fill in the gaps while we wait for information to trickle in.... and if we're open to it, we may pick up a valuable tidbit in the process.

My 2 cents. The land Blackpool sits on is only valuable because it's such a great destination. Take the park away (probably the main draw), and the tourists stop coming (Sound familiar?).
I can't understand why people don't realize this.
Of course, land owners don't care because they only want to profit short term.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Hi

Postby cliffc » 29 Feb 2008, 09:10

paul69 wrote:Hi, alton towers etc have always done ( for many years anyway) 2 for 1 tickets to kick the season off and up till now included all the Tussauds group attractions. I do think that Amanda Thompson has made bad moves in the last year or so. But i think somehow we need to get over this and move on or we will all end up tearful when the grand national is torn down. I don't think that £5 is un-reasonable if you are serious about entering the park with out a wrist band. Last year end of season i went up for a week end and still had the same feeling of the park being quite unique and some how proud that a park of this size is still privately run by the thompson family and was still incredibly friendly, somehow pathways and theming on the paths eg litter bins, plants etc all have to be maintained and last year was challenged by a few blokes trying to sell watches and cigs within the park and somehow im sure they didn't have a wrist band. I support any local fun fairs, amusements and theme parks simply because i can see at some stage our next generation will have nothing to do unless we support it and stop the down trend.

Hi

But as we all know the charge thing was tried out by the Thompsons at Southport and it did nto work there and the fee was only £2,

As i have pointed out on other forums if you have say a family of 2 adults and 2 kids, but the adults dont want to ride thay just want to watch there kids, now thay can just buy wristbands for the kids and thay can enter for free. While in the park thay will probly buy drinks ect so still brining in revenue. And to bring it at this time when things are gettting tight for people as it is, Is not a good idea, ok by next year things may have improved intrest rates may be lower again ect, but if it has not then an extra £10 to family could make all the differance to entering BPB and Turning round and walking away, and if that happens thay would lose the revenue from the 2 wristbands thay would have been bought for the kids in my example above.

On the point you made about guys trying to sell stuff in the park a charge of £5 would not put them off thay would pay it it just means thay have to sell one or 2 extra things to get the cost back.

CLiff c
cliffc

Postby EAS » 29 Feb 2008, 09:49

We said all this about the charge at Pleasureland - but as I have tried to say, don't think that what you see on the surface is always what you get with PBB.

Longer term agendas etc etc. With Pleasureland, ask those who worked there in a management capacity, they will tell you that there was what they described as 'creative accounting' going on. The aim was to close Pleasureland.

Blackpool - we may think the reason folks visit is because of great things like the Pleasure Beach, but you'd be surprised at how many don't think that, but want to cash in on land values. See how many parks have closed for redevelopment and you can see why owners are keen to cash in while they think they can.

I'm not saying I like it, I'm saying it's happened.
EAS

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 29 Feb 2008, 20:25

Right. They cash in.
Then, 5 years later, it's not drawing anyone and the land values fall.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby cliffc » 03 Mar 2008, 12:55

EAS wrote:We said all this about the charge at Pleasureland - but as I have tried to say, don't think that what you see on the surface is always what you get with PBB.

Longer term agendas etc etc. With Pleasureland, ask those who worked there in a management capacity, they will tell you that there was what they described as 'creative accounting' going on. The aim was to close Pleasureland.

Blackpool - we may think the reason folks visit is because of great things like the Pleasure Beach, but you'd be surprised at how many don't think that, but want to cash in on land values. See how many parks have closed for redevelopment and you can see why owners are keen to cash in while they think they can.

I'm not saying I like it, I'm saying it's happened.

Hi

I think we all know the BPB ltd wanted to close Pleasureland for waht ever reasons one of which was obviously to get a new ride for BPB very cheaply indeed. I am sure other things were also done to make pleasureland look like it was not making money. As an account friend once said to me when i asked him what does 2+2 make. The reply what ever you want it make.

I am sure that the forth comming charge will reduce numbers entering BPB, last years figures of 5.5 million, and i think given a good summer this year the figures will be about the same if not a little better but you can be sure 2009's will be a lot less.

For now i am going to remain on the fence over this issue and sit back an see what happens, One thing i can say for sure the 2008 season will be the last time i will enter BPB unless thay change there mind about the £5 entry fee.

Cliff C
cliffc

Previous

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum