Family Holiday in Southport!

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Family Holiday in Southport!

Postby furie » 02 Jul 2008, 15:26

Family_Furie went on a free holiday over the weekend to Southport.

I wrote the following 'Trip Report' as a tongue in cheek guide to the holiday. I couldn't make it 'serious' as I'd find that it would just be far too maudlin. However, before I start the report.

It's the first time I've been since Pleasureland shut, and didn't really expect to find much to do. It's a place of mixed messages though. The council is pushing this 'classic resort' image. The pier has a fantastic video showing on it - lots of history (including some great shots of either the old Caterpillar coaster, or the scenic), with an update on them now (minus Pleasureland obviously). So you get this feeling that there's support for everything which made Southport such a tourist attraction - yet...

The area around Pleasureland is already looking derelict. The Lakeside Miniature Railway is certainly suffering - such a shame. We visited the model village which we all enjoyed too, but again, it's sitting in what is essentially now a 'dead' area. There were people about, but for a weekend at the end of June? Nowhere near as many as we'd have seen two summer's ago. So it's all about being 'classic', but the idea of classic seems to be focused entirely on Lord Street, and JJB sports??? I've talked to a few people about it, and they've all said "oh, it's lovely, I love the shops on Lord street!" - then look bemused when you mention that you had a lovely time on the beach, riding a miniature train, walked the pier and played crazy golf. They didn't seem to know Southport was a seaside town!

I hope for the best for the town, but I suspect that within a couple of years, everything which makes the front special and 'classic' will have gone. I'm glad that - as a family - we've enjoyed it, and we'll certainly return each summer to support what is left. I just hope Sefton push and make others realise what there is there.

Anyway, that 'trip report'...

Day 1
Having to work away on Friday, I sent family_furie ahead on the train. I arrived around 7:00 to the wonders of our 6 star chalet!

The luxury was overwhelming, and there was some unique patterning on the decor. Each chalet had it's own particular set of patterning too. Some may say it's chipped wallpaper, but trained chipmunks make these unique works of art on each wall.

Sadly, there was a lack of Internet access, but it's okay, because there's a kind of bulleting board system in use in the bedrooms. Here you can see where the last guests came from:

There were also declarations of love and intimate details of people's personal habits on this board. Even contact details in case you needed 'to be sucked off' - exceptionally useful.

There were some negative posts on the board too though...

Though I assume this is a cultural issue. People come from as far as St. Helens (as seen above) and Liverpool. That's over 10 miles in some cases, so obviously people are a little distressed at being so far away from home.

Fortunately, the chalets are in a wonderfully landscaped surround:

You can feel your worries and cares oozing out of you as you sit and listen to the dulcet scouse tones of the lady in the next block calling cheerily to her little cherub CHANEL - bliss...

That was pretty much it for day 1. I had a stonking migraine for some odd reason, and went to bed early.

Day 2
We decided on the Saturday to sample the delights of Southport town itself!

It was slightly concerning at first, as the giant wildlife looks quite threatening. Thankfully, they're tame and only attack moving trains...

The gigantic toddler was a little more cause for alarm though - sadly, there is now a bacon shortage on Merseyside.

Here's one for all you train enthusiasts:

I imagine that you're champing at the bit now, and want to see some fair ground shots. So I'll skip the bit about us doing the pier, beach and boating - due to lack of photographs and the fact we did it on day 4 ;)

So, New Pleasureland then. Well, I couldn't believe it to be honest - it was exactly the same as Old Pleasureland!!!

Here with have the Wildcat! Lovely Pinfari goodness!

The cable cars are a firm favourite!

Space Shot! Short shot tower with loads of willy-lift! Barnstormer? What's that then?

The Haunted Inn and Fun House looked like new attractions???

Traumatizer wasn't as rough as usual.

The Lost Dinosaurs of the...

... Oh... Wait - they've been found! :lol:

The Caterpillar ride was so popular, they added another one, only this one is Happy!

What's worse than finding your worm in an apple? Find your worm in half an apple! Just a minute, that joke's not quite right...

Here's the Cyclone sea bend. It's pretty slow, but you get to look right across the beach and try to spot the sea (you can't, it's always a million miles at Southport - it seems that it's been moved to Blackpool ;)

The Ghost Train with the Cyclone tunnel!

Cyclone station and second turnaround.

100% Adrenalin - apparently...

That was pretty much it - I was impressed that so much had been retained. I had feared the worst!

Day 3
Pissed down pretty much all day, so spent it inside the pool area (no photography allowed) - but Minor_Furie climbed up a wooden tower:

Then chucked himself off it again!

Still, the ducks had a lovely day!

Day 4
Another trip out into Southport today. We got the Orient Express over to the pier:

Okay, slight lie - it was clearly 'Thomas'. Why does everyone with a train insist on painting it blue and pretending it's Thomas the Tank Engine??? Still, the train has been running about 90 years, and it was great to take part in this quaint little seaside tradition (the drivers were top blokes actually, and it was really 'nice' - so hats off and if you go to Southport, it's only £2 for a return journey and it's the kind of thing I think people should support) [/sincere].

At the end of the pier is a 'penny arcade'. You trade in 10p's for old pennies. All the games are from the 70's and earlier. It's a great little active 'museum' actually - I remember a lot of the stuff from Blackpool and Rhyl from my childhood :lol:

This amused me because I am childish:

The pier itself is the second longest in the country and is significantly less burned down than Brighton's :P It also has railway on it, which is a bit disturbing when suddenly a 40 tonne train appears behind you!

Here's a view down the pier and over the glorious, traditional Victorian sea front

Perhaps somebody at Sefton missed the fact that traditional Victorian resorts didn't have horrid crinkly tin monstrosities containing a cinema and JJB sports?

Finally, before we left, we had a play on the beach, but what a joy! Donkey rides! Seriously, I didn't think that this happened any more, and it was fantastic. Well, Maxi-Minor_Furie certainly thought so.

The kids had a superb time at least, which is the important thing I guess :)
Furie and the lop-eared lagomorphs of Lucifer
Failed to Save the Cyclone :(
furie

Postby EAS » 02 Jul 2008, 16:30

EAS

Postby Nick » 02 Jul 2008, 18:12

Fantastic post, furie! It brings back memories of my recent 'holiday' in Southport and Pontins. It was quite an experience. Southport was great, but the Pontins bit we would quite happily miss out next time.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby EAS » 02 Jul 2008, 20:21

I've just received an e-mail with the heading 'Pleasureland'.

I clicked on it unthinkingly, but I rather wish I hadn't. :shock:

( Ididn't read enough to see if donkey rides were on offer.)
EAS

Postby furie » 03 Jul 2008, 10:42

EAS wrote:I just want to cry....

Obviously, it was pretty hard returning for the first time since the demolition. After all the work and heartache which went into trying to save the ride, and park.

I tried not to be too maudlin about it all, it's passed now, and gone :(

It did amaze me how little room the Cyclone took up - the foot print is actually really small. When it was up, it seemed absolutely massive, but the area it sat on is actually surprisingly small.

Nick wrote:Fantastic post, furie! It brings back memories of my recent 'holiday' in Southport and Pontins. It was quite an experience. Southport was great, but the Pontins bit we would quite happily miss out next time.

Cheers Nick - I'm certainly not rushing back to Pontins, but the area round it (the beach, nature reserves and accessibility to Southport) are great. I think my problem is that I come from the area, and moved 90 miles away for a reason... ;)

The whole holiday reminded me of my family holidays back in the 70's though, at Rhyl and Prestatyn. It had the same charm and innocent fun (and cheesy fun fair) I always remembered - with one huge exception - no people. Those holidays were always filled with children (and adults) laughing and playing and having fun. I'm sure if I'd headed into Matalan, I'd have found a lot of people, but not on the miniature railway, or the beach. It's such a shame that people either don't know about the fact these things still exist, or just don't think they're worthwhile.

I suspect we're quite old fashioned in the way we raise the family, in that the children drive the holidays. We enjoy the kids enjoying themselves, and take pleasure in the simple joys they have. It seems to be a very modern way that the kids are just there as an encumberance , getting in the way of what the adults want to do.

EAS wrote:I've just received an e-mail with the heading 'Pleasureland'.

I clicked on it unthinkingly, but I rather wish I hadn't. :shock:

( Ididn't read enough to see if donkey rides were on offer.)

:lol:

That made both madame_furie and myself laugh a fair amount :D

I've done a quick video to try and capture the essence of the holiday anyway :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7-wEhMb3pI
Furie and the lop-eared lagomorphs of Lucifer
Failed to Save the Cyclone :(
furie

Postby Gary » 05 Jul 2008, 18:34

A wonderful, poignant TR

Thank you.
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum