Blackpools £20 entrance fee.

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Blackpools £20 entrance fee.

Postby marc » 24 Sep 2008, 20:34

The pay as you enter charge is effictive from October
http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/black ... 4521672.jp
HANDS IN THE AIR!!!
"HACKS"
FELIXSTOWE`S NUMBER "1" ENTHUSIAST
Hacks Pix
www.funfairworld.co.uk
marc

Postby Gary » 25 Sep 2008, 19:28

Yes, PB has had a bad season but I just don't understand the knee jerk reaction of introducing this charge.

The powers that be have got all their psychology wrong.

I'm concerned for a park I love.
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby EAS » 27 Sep 2008, 09:01

It was this tactic that ensured the downfall of Pleasureland.

Call me cynical, but...
EAS

Postby mrjimlowe » 01 Oct 2008, 21:02

Yes, I agree, This new charge will drive people away. Seaside resorts mainly rely on daytrippers nowadays who like to walk around the fairground and maybe go on some rides.

They are just going to alienate people from BPB and visitor number will plummet. I was at Blackpool this weekend and BPB was heaving with people.
It will be interesting to see the difference in visitor numbers by this time next year.

By the way, the North West Coastal Resorts Forum has now re-opened under new management:
http://www.northwestcoastalresorts.com
Regards

Jim Lowe

Website and Forum: http://www.northwestseasidetowns.co.uk
mrjimlowe

Postby furie » 08 Oct 2008, 11:15

There are strong rumours that an offer has been made for the Pleasure Beach.

Amanda Thompson has said that it is her father's heritage and shall remain in her hands.

She also said the Southport Cyclone was being made safe for the winter...

Make of it what you will ;)
Furie and the lop-eared lagomorphs of Lucifer
Failed to Save the Cyclone :(
furie

Postby mathmos » 15 Oct 2008, 13:12

I think the pleasure beach will soon be sold off!, I am very worried about what will come of the great rides the park plays home to!- classics like the national, steeplechase ,wild mouse, big dipper,alice in wonderland,ghost train,maxims flying machine derby racer,river caves,noahs ark,whip,.... the list goes on! BEFORE they get bulldozed like southports cyclone something should be done to protect them from the current owners who obviously dont have the parks best interests at heart!
mathmos

Postby AJ » 15 Oct 2008, 20:32

mathmos wrote:I am very worried about what will come of the great rides the park plays home to!- classics like the national, steeplechase ,wild mouse, big dipper,alice in wonderland,ghost train,maxims flying machine derby racer,river caves,noahs ark,whip,....

The Whip has already left the Pleasure Beach and is now in the safe hands of the Dreamland guys.
AJ

Postby mathmos » 16 Oct 2008, 12:10

Thanks for telling me that AJ! Im glad its been saved from the pleasure beach management!
mathmos

Postby marc » 22 Oct 2008, 17:25

The latest’s twist at the UK‘s number 1 Amusement Park
http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/black ... 4614866.jp
HANDS IN THE AIR!!!
"HACKS"
FELIXSTOWE`S NUMBER "1" ENTHUSIAST
Hacks Pix
www.funfairworld.co.uk
marc

Postby EAS » 22 Oct 2008, 21:51

Just like Pleasureland!

Days after the £20 charge was brought in The Gazette reported how many visitors were refusing to pay at the gates and were walking away.

An employee at the Pleasure Beach said colleagues feared the future was bleak.

Earlier this month, it lost the number one spot as the UK's most visited free attraction to Xscape the snow village experience in Milton Keynes.

The worker, who wished to remain anonymous, claimed his hours had been cut by half because the park was "des-erted".

He said hundreds of tourists were refusing to pay the £20 walk-on charge – which covers everyone who uses the rides including children above 1.3m in height. He said: "We fear if the Pleasure Beach carries on losing its customers at the rate it is, it will become another statistic!

"Sometimes we are twiddling our thumbs wondering where the next customer is going to appear from. I fear the worst if this charge is not dropped immediately."

Pleasure Beach management have declined to comment on the remarks.
EAS

Postby Bob » 15 Jan 2009, 18:23

Gary wrote:Yes, PB has had a bad season but I just don't understand the knee jerk reaction of introducing this charge.

The powers that be have got all their psychology wrong.

I'm concerned for a park I love.

Its totally the wrong approach. They may achieve a higher spend pervisitor but they will get a lot less visitors.

A better approach would be a charge of about £3 just for entrance but this allowed you to purchase disconted meals and rides that way you get them throuh the gates and then encourage them to spend more but they are not forced to.
Bob

My Input on BPB

Postby cliffc » 19 Jan 2009, 11:07

Hi

There is more to this for the comming season as some of you may or may not know from feb 14th you have to pay £5 just to enter the park for that you get unlimited access to the PBexpress, the new dancing fountian show, a show matenee, or you pay the full price for a normal wristband for unlimited rides.

But this season there are at least 5 rides that are going to SBNO (Standing But Not Operating) thease are

Roller Coster
Noah's Ark
Trauma Towers
and 2 poss 3 others i cannot remember at the moment.

Thay have also confirmed that the Ice Show will not be staged this year and its allso widly rumoed the Forbidden will not be staged this year either, and on top of all this thay have just announced that the White Tower Restraunt will be only for private functions, and that 20 workers may be made redundent.

If you add to this other than the new foauntins that have been added for this season there has been no investment in new rides (you cannot call infuson a new ride as it was just Truamatiser from southport).

Visitor numbers have been going down for the past few years, even last year but other attractions in the town for last season have reported an increase in numbers. Part of the reason I beleve is due to the introduction of the £20 charge in October, plus not keeping to opening times ( know thay do have a disclaimer saying thay can chainge) but what other park in the country closes earlyer than advertised, there have been reports on a now closed fan site that last season people were nipping along to Blackpool for a few hours of fun after work / school ect as thay were advertised as open until 8:30 and when thay got there it was found thay were closing at 7pm so it was not worth going in, this is not the way to keep your customers happy.

The actions that have been happeing in the close season to me smell of a company that is in trouble and if something is not done soon I do feel that this may be the last season for BPB at least under the current ownership.

Cliff C
cliffc

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum