Blackpool Pleasure Beach - End of an Era

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Blackpool Pleasure Beach - End of an Era

Postby ricardobugsy » 01 Oct 2008, 20:02

Slightly off-topic I know but from today, it is no longer possible to gain
FREE ENTRY to the Pleasure Beach. Entry is via WRISTBAND ONLY.

Throughout OCTOBER wristbands for unlimited rides are on special offer at £20 each.

Apparently, the Freedom Pass for non-riders of £5 (which allows you on the maze, monorail, train and a show) will not come into effect until NEXT YEAR.
ricardobugsy

Postby uvegotmale2000 » 02 Oct 2008, 08:23

This is kind of thing that Southport Pleasureland had from the same owners and we all know what happened to that!!

if Grandparents wanted to watch their grand kids going on rides they have to pay to see that,which is unacceptable

BPB are going to lose a lot of custom at a time when people are feeling the pinch,one word for it. GREED
uvegotmale2000

Postby ricardobugsy » 02 Oct 2008, 13:24

I don't know if it is greed but it is definitely very sad.

If business dictates that BPB go down 'the theme park' route then so be it.
It is just a shame that the Freedom Pass could not have been included in the October deal. £5 for 'non-riders' is not great but £20 is outrageous!

I wonder how many families have booked wristbands unaware of this. It certainly has not been well-advertised and was decided with only a few weeks notice. It is poor PR, cos it is gonna split people up and I bet it leads to a few major rows at ticket booths.

Fortunately for me, I was there for the final weekend of free entry otherwise my family would have been stuffed, as my son and I, had pre-booked wristbands, but my girlfriend who does not like thrill rides but wanted to ride with my son on some kids rides, did not.

Even then, we had to hunt around for individual ride tickets so my partner could accompany my 4 year old son on some rides. Most of the ticket offices said minimum of 20 tickets. It was only by chance that we discovered a machine that did a minimum of 2 tickets and by speaking to a ride operator who said there was an office by the Zipper Dipper that also did the same. Maybe this was designed to make people buy 20 tickets, who knows? Anyway this system is history now.

Having said that, as a rider, it is still IMO the best park in the country, a great mix of the best of the vintage rides and modern rides. Something that Alton Towers and Thorpe Park will never have.
ricardobugsy

Postby EAS » 04 Oct 2008, 11:55

It worked at Southport - punters vanished, the rides razed, the park closed...

Is this what the owners now want at Blackpool?

I don't think Amanda's heart was ever in it.
EAS

Postby mathmos » 14 Oct 2008, 14:21

It will kill it off very quickly just like southport!, Its days were numbered when they started charging at the gates!, Its only a matter of time before some of the best vintage coasters and rides are being ripped down again! Im very worried about the pleasure beach!
mathmos

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum