Rich List

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Rich List

Postby Graeme » 17 Nov 2003, 18:55

The Rich List Figures are interesting. I was surprised Geoffrey Thompson only has £25m. He could literally blow that on one roller coaster. They make very big expenditures - what was it, £13m for the Big One and £15m for Valhalla? I can see it's crucial that they make their money back each time.

As for Trevor Hemmings having £700m! It's a shame he doesn't invest more, as he could turn around American Adventure by setting aside about £20m - £15m for a nice big Floorless and £5m for a set of good complementary rides.
Graeme

Postby Nick » 18 Nov 2003, 10:35

GT's £25m is his personal fortune. That does not impact upon BPB's ability to invest in major rides. Blackpool Pleasure Beach Ltd's company accounts are a separate issue - ride investment is capital expenditure on the park, which is set over a number of years against the park's turnover and profit. I have spoken to BPB and they tell me that their next ride is going to be a £25m investment. Putting that alongside the millions they spend each year on general infrastructure improvements and maintenence, they will get through £25m in a fairly short time!

Bottom line is that Blackpool Pleasure Beach does not fund rides from GT's personal wealth.

Nick
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Wilko » 21 Nov 2003, 14:51

As for Trevor Hemmings having £700m! It's a shame he doesn't invest more, as he could turn around American Adventure by setting aside about £20m - £15m for a nice big Floorless and £5m for a set of good complementary rides.

There ia a big plan on the table for American Adventure but it isn't anything we would particularly like. Basically a Pontins style resort will be built on the site with static caravans, holiday homes etc... This on a piece of land to the side of the park extending into the area that the Missile currently sits on.

There will then be a number of upgrades to the rides to imprive the general standard of them. Not sure on additiobns but it is very much a family visitor they are aiming for. The idea here is a caravan park with small pay to enter theme park on the side, concentrating on the Pontins bit rather than the park. Although no doubt this will improve the state of the park, I doubt there will even be a major coaster since the Missile will be moved within the park. Shame really because one major ride could put the park back on the map. Look what it did for Thorpe Park.

John Wilkes
JawCoasters - UK Coaster Reviews, Pictures and Cartoons
http://www.jawcoasters.co.uk/
Wilko

Postby Graeme » 22 Nov 2003, 14:16

Wilko wrote:Shame really because one major ride could put the park back on the map. Look what it did for Thorpe Park.

Yes, and to be honest, I think Thorpe's two most recent coasters are quite modest compared to what I believe Trevor Hemmings could put in. Just imagine something like Kraken or Superman Krypton Coaster!

Interesting to hear the camp would be over by the area where the Missile is now, and the Missile will be moved. I didn't know that. It's a long time since I rode the Missile (probably 1994), but I rode Pleasure Island's Boomerang this year and to be honest, if the Missile's rough now, I would imagine it's a bit far gone. I wouldn't be upset to lose it.

If they're after the family market, how about replacing the Missile with a GCI woodie? The Millennium Flyers for Dollywood's new Thunderhead look absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks for the info. (And Nick.)
Graeme

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum