Brighton Pier Ghost Train destroyed

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Brighton Pier Ghost Train destroyed

Postby Nick » 04 Feb 2003, 22:50

It appears that tonight's fire on Brighton Pier has completely destroyed the Ghost Train. That is a shame as it was one of the few two-storey ghost trains in the country (with a Blackpool-style drop behind the station). Apparently, the Pinfari coaster and the Helter Skelter have both been damaged, as has that kiddies boat ride in front of the Ghost Train. Thankfully, I took loads of photos of the Ghost Train last year. Sad news, but at least nobody was hurt.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » 05 Feb 2003, 15:35

It's strange, because I only read a TR, from Lewis Cox, about Brighton a week or two ago. I had a funny feeling about the Ghost Train then, for some reason! :shock:

I didn't realise ghost trains with two storeys and a drop behind the station were rare. (As you know, Nick) Walton Pier's is like that.
Graeme

Postby David » 06 Feb 2003, 12:26

Shame there is not much left of it now. As far as I know the Ghost Train has been there since at least the 1940's. I don't know if its always been the same ride or replaced over the years.

Thr ride has been featured in the 1947 film BRIGHTON ROCK

BBFC: Brighton Rock

The Ghost Train was also featured in the 1971 Carry On film CARRY ON AT YOUR CONVENIENCE

BBFC: Carry On At Your Convenience

Picture taken from

http://www.thisisbrightonandhove.co.uk/ ... pier_fire/
Ladies and Gentlemen you are about to board the Top Buzz
David

Postby David » 06 Feb 2003, 14:39

The BBC also have pictures located here

BBC News Page 1

BBC News Page 2
Ladies and Gentlemen you are about to board the Top Buzz
David

Postby Nick » 06 Feb 2003, 21:36

I know very little about the history of the ride, but I think it is a relatively new ghost train. I think the old Palace Pier ghost train used to be at the opposite side of the pier. I remember that from visiting in the early 1980s. I would be interested in finding out about the history of the ghost train, though, if anyone can shed any light on it.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » 16 Feb 2003, 19:37

Just a quick snippet of information about the Brighton Pier Ghost Train. It wasn't an old ride. Apparently, it was installed in about 1993, so is different from the Gjost Train that appeared on all the old films.
Nick
Site Admin

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum