the prisoner at Battersea and Kursaal

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

the prisoner at Battersea and Kursaal

Postby Gary » 21 Jan 2009, 11:04

With the sad death announced last week of the great actor Patrick McGoohan, I wonder if there is anyone on these boards who, like me, was fascinated by his tv series the prisoner?

Originally shown in the late sixties this is one series that I have watched countless times.

For those of you who haven't got a clue what I am talking about
you just mustn't be of a certain age. :-)

prisoner fact: Patrick McGoohan refused to visit an amusement park for the shooting of the (bizarre) episode "the girl who was death" hence his double was chased on and off the rides at Battersea and Kursaal Amusement Parks by a psychotic kinky lady (played by Justine Lord)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=w8f3pgvELvE

The YouTube footage shows some great vintage shots. Water Splash, Laff in the Dark, Caterpillar, Octopus, coaster, River Caves...
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby porterm » 24 Jan 2009, 05:20

Fascinating stuff there Gary - I guess the River Caves ride was at the Kursaal. Battersea used to be my local playground, however, I seem to recall never going on their River Caves (close to the Water Chute I seem to remember). A good quality YouTube video too. Classic stuff, although I always thought this show was very weird.

Very sad about Patrick's sudden death though - I only heard of it from a friend as I rarely seem to get to see/hear the news much these days.

Martin

PS I guess Patrick wasn't an amusement park fan then
porterm

Postby Gary » 29 Jan 2009, 19:19

porterm wrote:..PS I guess Patrick wasn't an amusement park fan then

Don't know. :)

What I do know is that Mr McG was a bit of a prude when it came to love scenes on the series.

He always pretended to kiss his love interest on set and was quoted as saying something about amusememnt parks being places that he went only with his wife?!

Gary
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum