Cliff Richard at Battersea 1971

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Cliff Richard at Battersea 1971

Postby Gary » 26 Oct 2009, 11:43

Dodgy song..Good park clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVTl-fSGcqs

Gary
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby porterm » 12 Nov 2009, 01:33

Thanks so much for that clip Gary - very fond memories for me as it was probably the very first sizeable amusement park I got to go to as a child, and practically in my back yard too! (I lived in Battersea in the seventies up until 1976; that park was never the same after 1974 when the famed amusement park finally closed its gates, along with its Pleasure Gardens)

The one thing I was quite thrilled to view was that sideshow with the characters going around through a curtain-type backing with bowler hats on. I don't know why but that attraction has always stuck in my mind and I thought I'd never get to see a visible reminder of it. (I did begin to think I'd actually dreamt it up as it always seemed quite surreal to me and no-one I meet ever seems to recall it). Very amusing antics with Hank on this and the Ghost Train I thought, and I'm no real Cliff/Shadows fan.

It looked like Clifff had great fun on all the rides, especially the dive bomber (he's a braver man than me there; I've never ventured on one as they always looked quite sickly to me). I thought it was also rather eerie seeing Cliff going up solo in the former Big Dipper train, about a year before the ride's fatal accident, assuming this was filmed in 1971.

Martin

PS That train looked like one of Margate's Scenic trains as I'm sure they lent/donated a couple to Battersea after the Big Dipper suffered a bad arson attack around 1970.
porterm

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum