BITSofBRITAIN: Carnforth Station

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

BITSofBRITAIN: Carnforth Station

Postby Gary » 22 Nov 2009, 18:56

I have found myself on several occasions in the past standing on an empty railway platform staring into the distance towards the track on the horizon and waiting for a train.

Most of the times that I remember I have found it quite therapeutic.

Just lovely silence punctuated every now and again by such things as the sound of a muffled drill on a building site pounding at concrete too far away for me to care.

I tend to stand transfixed on empty railway platforms staring into the distance focusing on that spot where the overhead cables appear to meet the track.

In June of this year I found myself on a railway platform again: Platform 2 for trains going to Leeds and Barrow in Furness to be exact.

I wasn't going to Leeds or Barrow in Furness though - Ann, Isabel and I were going somewhere else on our way back from some place else and decided to make a detour especially to see and stand on this hallowed spot.

We were in Carnforth and those of you who have an interest in classic films will straightaway understand the significance.

For those of you who haven't, let me explain..

I admit to never having watched the 1945 b&w film Brief Encounter in its entirety but some of its most memorable scenes were shot at the station.

Celia Johnston plays Laura, a middle class woman who lives a happy but predictable life. She meets a certain Dr. Alec Harvey (Trevor Howard.)

There starts a doomed love affair cleverly set to the sweeping romantic sounds of Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto. This single piece of music plays throughout the film and stirs up the emotions.

I can imagine the steam trains back in 1945 as they pulled into the station billowing out their smoke and sounds. The curved railway lines sweep into the station round a bend.

Although David Lean's film Brief Encounter sets the "excitement" of a love affair against the backdrop of a mundane England, the film somehow possesses that ability to make many people yearn for an England long gone.

This was a time when people were brasher, accents were stronger, and social attitudes to affairs were very different.

Today, the platform is home to an ornate cafe with its '40s memorabilia and has its own visitor centre. It occasionally hosts '40s weekends, murder mystery plays and exhibitions of arts and craft among other things and is also home to a small museum run by the friends of Carnforth station.

I love this place and admire the dedication of the enthusiasts and volunteers involved.

- This strikes a chord. :)

There were a few shops to browse in although by the looks of things - on my last visit anyway - the recession had hit Carnforth station too.

Sadly "The Tardis" Dr Who shop unit was closed and empty but there was a model shop selling the usual Hornby goods.

Platform 2 at Carnforth station offers up a little slice of yesterday with sudden reminders of today thrown in as high speed trains thunder through the station on another line in a hurry to get somewhere else.

Sometimes I wish the world would just slow down a bit.

I pity those poor passengers hurtling at 100mph who have neither the time or inclination to stop, get out and smell the British Rail coffee.

- The UK is alive with history.

I have often likened the UK to one big gigantic Theme Park but it's the quirky, off the beaten track attractions like Carnforth station that tend to grab my attention and pull me in.

Our encounter at Carnforth last June was all too brief but for me it is one of those classic BITSofBRITAIN that I will definately return to.
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby EAS » 29 Nov 2009, 18:02

I've just spotted this post!

I went in October last year to Carnforth Station, as treat for my **th birthday. Yes I know, other women go on cruises and buy shoes and diamonds... I have watched the entire movie, many times!

It was intended as a 'brief' encounter, en route to another place of interest, ended up spending much of the day there!

I'm a very big rail enthusiast, esp buildings (and locos, but not so expert on those).

Had a delicious lunch in the period re-creation of the caff (which was in fact a studio set in the movie I gather) and a look round the displays, and suddenly met a very nice chap we had met at an open day at Alston Station, Cumbria, on the August anniversary steam weekend (narrow gauge) where he was volunteering.

We got into conversation, he is one of the people who helped the rescue of the station (once pencilled for demo) and we talked for a long time and he so kindly showed us round areas which are not normally open to the public. From the areas upstairs, you can view over to where the rolling stock is kept for steam excursions, too, from Hellifield Station.

A wonderful day, and we ended up with an unplanned trip to Morecambe too, for drinks at the Midland Hotel, another terrific piece of heritage regeneration.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum