Battersea: British Pathe Clip

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Battersea: British Pathe Clip

Postby Gary » 17 Oct 2010, 21:08

Once the 30 sec advert is through in the following clip sit back and take a peek at 12mins of fantastic Battersea history from the seventies:

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=74427

Blarb states:

Battersea, London.

Unused / unissued material - Colour material.

Travelling shots from front car of a roller coaster in Festival Park. Shots around the fairground - it is very empty and few of the rides seem to be working. Travel shots from big wheel / Ferris wheel type ride. Travel shots on horse in carousel type ride. CU of child on the ride with older person. Shots showing reflections in mirrors on the ride. More shots of carousel. Various shots of people firing rifles at a shooting gallery amusement stall. Travel shots on rollercoaster. MS of people walking around the site. Buying candy floss and toffee apples etc. VS of other rides. High angle shots across the fairground. Night is drawing on and illuminations are beginning to come on. LS of waterchute ride. Travel shot down Helterskelter.

Gary
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby mesmoland » 23 Oct 2010, 18:27

Thank you for that link,wow what memories for me.As a child aged 9 in 1976 I rode that water chute, there was nothing else there as far as I remember.It started my love of rollercoasters of all kinds (and chutes).I never thought I would see a pov of it :o ! my distant memories are refreshed. :D
Visit mesmoland on you tube "The World's First Cerebral Theme Park "
mesmoland

Postby porterm » 01 Nov 2010, 22:21

Ah - my first local playground! Great memories there. Here's another celebrity-studded Festival Gardens newsreel I came across on the same British Pathe website; http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=43239

The film you previously posted in this thread looked like it was after 1972 as the ill-fated Big Dipper looked like it had been replaced by the steel Jetstream roller coaster. I remember a steel "Cyclone" coaster on the site previously, which was then relocated on top of the dolphinarium building if my memory serves me right. I rode that one but sadly never got to ride the Jetstream, which was later relocated to Rhyl's now defunct Ocean Beach.

I love seeing these old films; can't recall any celebs on park during my visits in the early seventies!

Whilst I'm posting, here's another photo gallery I found of the former great Capital attraction; http://newscdn.bbc.net.uk/local/london/ ... 269406.stm

(complete with the classic Tree Walk, which I'm sure was relocated to Caister Castle as I saw posters in the area during a visit there in the 80s). Is it still there I wonder?

Martin
porterm

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum