Butlin's Mystery Woodie and 75th Birthday Cine Appeal

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Butlin's Mystery Woodie and 75th Birthday Cine Appeal

Postby porterm » 25 Apr 2011, 13:36

Hi all

I know this is not exactly theme/amusement park related but I caught this in Saturday's Daily Mirror holiday section; http://www.mirror.co.uk/advice/travel/n ... -23079829/

The top coaster photo had the caption "ROLLERMANIA - Fun at Butlins in 1939". I couldn't help noticing it initially looked like a Scenic Railway but then it only has one small car. I'd be intrigued to know anyone who has more information on this ride, its name, or whether it really was located at an actual Butlin's former camp/centre. (I know their former Barry Island location had a Scenic Railway in its opposite privately owned Pleasure Park until the early seventies so maybe this one didn't exist within a Butlin's site).

I also noticed how three people were allowed to sit abreast in the carriage; don't think that would happen today.

Also, at this time maybe people could check if they have any nostalgic film footage from Butlin's opening day in 1936 stacked away somewhere. Butlin's are appealing for any early footage; email butlinsfilms@launchgroup.co.uk

There's also to be a new TV documentary to be made this Summer so your footage could get aired on TV!

I used to go to many of their centres with my family in the seventies, including Minehead, Filey, Barry Island and Skegness and have good memories of them, especially their old Wild Mouse coasters atop their arcade buildings. Classic stuff, and the fun bingo callers with the naff prizes.

Martin Porter
porterm

Re: Butlin's Mystery Woodie and 75th Birthday Cine Appeal

Postby davidjohn » 01 Jan 2012, 03:53

porterm wrote:Hi all

I know this is not exactly theme/amusement park related but I caught this in Saturday's Daily Mirror holiday section; http://www.mirror.co.uk/advice/travel/n ... -23079829/

The top coaster photo had the caption "ROLLERMANIA - Fun at Butlins in 1939". I couldn't help noticing it initially looked like a Scenic Railway but then it only has one small car. I'd be intrigued to know anyone who has more information on this ride, its name, or whether it really was located at an actual Butlin's former camp/centre. (I know their former Barry Island location had a Scenic Railway in its opposite privately owned Pleasure Park until the early seventies so maybe this one didn't exist within a Butlin's site).

I also noticed how three people were allowed to sit abreast in the carriage; don't think that would happen today.

Also, at this time maybe people could check if they have any nostalgic film footage from Butlin's opening day in 1936 stacked away somewhere. Butlin's are appealing for any early footage; email butlinsfilms@launchgroup.co.uk

There's also to be a new TV documentary to be made this Summer so your footage could get aired on TV!

I used to go to many of their centres with my family in the seventies, including Minehead, Filey, Barry Island and Skegness and have good memories of them, especially their old Wild Mouse coasters atop their arcade buildings. Classic stuff, and the fun bingo callers with the naff prizes.

Martin Porter
Yes, I know this ride. It was the Figure of Eight ride in Skegness, also known as the Big Dipper. The ride was at the Butlins Amusement park. The cars seated six, and was quite speedy for it's age. A simular ride was situated at Butlins Littlehampton. The Littlehampton Dipper was slightly larger and was built above the main entrance of the park. Both Dippers were built around 1932 and were demolished in 1962 to make way for the more modern Wild Mouse.
davidjohn

Postby porterm » 18 Jan 2012, 01:21

Many thanks for that fine information David on this "lost coaster". (Sorry for the delayed response on my part).

Martin
porterm

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum