Vikingar

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Vikingar

Postby Ash » 25 May 2003, 18:01

Seems strange that the ride doesn't feature on the park map or website tho.

Ash
BPB Re-opens 1st March 2003

All rides £1!
Wristbands £13!
Ash

Postby Greg P » 25 May 2003, 19:54

I agree Ash, and I can only assume that at the time of going to print there might have been no intention of re-opening it.

But BPB is like that - they change their minds on a regular basis - and I kind of like the unpredictable nature of the business (when it's a positive change for the better!)

Greg
Greg P

Vikingar

Postby porterm » 21 Jul 2003, 01:37

Hello all,

Just thought I'd say that I visited BPB over the first weekend this month with the European Coaster Club and the Vikingar (Water Chute) ride was indeed running, save for a very sharp fast final right turn bend after the drop through the water. I did ride it again on the Sunday and the car seemed to brake before the the final right bend after the water. (Maybe someone was in control of the brake that time! - have to say I never noticed).

This was my first visit to the park since 1987, when I first noticed the loss of the classic "Reel" ride. It was very sad to see the Globe Theatre now standing on the ride's former hallowed ground. I very fortunately rode the great attraction in the summer of 1982, its final season. If I'd have only known its pending fate I'm sure I'd have taken a couple more rides at least. May the Reel RIP; let's hope one day it can be reborn.

Going back to the Vikingar, this ride has an air of nostalgia for me as the first version I ever rode was at London's former Battersea Funfair, and later the one at Margate's Dreamland (now sadly no more). It may only be a one-drop ride but I believe it still packs a punch, competing well with today's alternatives. I hope its future survival can be ensured as it is another classic ride.

Also, if anyone is unaware, please can I appeal to anyone interested in preserving historic amusement parks to ensure that they visit Margate's Dreamland and ride the endangered Scenic Railway. The park is threatened with permanent closure this September. (See the linked "Savedreamland" website for info)

Bye for now,

Martin :D
porterm

Vikingar

Postby michael » 18 Aug 2003, 09:11

Made a quick visit to BPB yesterday and went on the Vikingar Water Chute. Park was busy but no queue for this ride. I dont think its because people dont like the ride, its just in the wrong place. If you dont know the park well you could easily miss this ride due to its location. Valhalla was closed all day for technical reasons !!
michael

Vikingar

Postby Ash » 18 Aug 2003, 20:57

Agreed Michael, a lot of people do tent to run round are get back on, so people do still like it, but as you said it just isn't very well noticed. Was enjoying a bud or 2 on the balcony under the Cableway station a few weeks ago, and a lot of people were gathering at the side over looking the water splash, and I did over hear I few differnt people saying things like, 'Whats that!' and 'Is it part of Valhalla' and 'Thats the next ride'

However, 1 woman did take great pleasure in attempting to stick her face though the cladding to look into the Q line for the Cableway.

As for Valhalla going down...yet another reason for the Log Flume to stay (what was its Q like, just out of interest)

Ash

All rides £1!
Wristbands £13!
Ash

Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Postby michael » 19 Aug 2003, 08:16

I think the Vikingar had been closed all day on Sunday, there was no sign of life on the ride at all. Log Flume had a small Q. Biggest Q I noticed was for the Ghost Train. The park was really busy generally though. I think with the way BPB does its tickets nowadays, you have to go for the whole day and buy a wristband. Its too expensive to buy individual tickets. We are a family of 4 and went on 3 rides - The Vikingar, Ghost Train & Noahs Ark. Cost us - £ 24 !!! Enjoyed them all though!!
michael

Postby Ash » 19 Aug 2003, 18:06

I think the Vikingar had been closed all day on Sunday, there was no sign of life on the ride at all.

We are a family of 4 and went on 3 rides - The Vikingar, Ghost Train & Noahs Ark. Cost us - £ 24 !!! Enjoyed them all though!!

Huh? Take it you mean Valhalla had no sign of life.

Ash

All rides £1!
Wristbands £13!
Ash

Previous

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum