Old Footage of Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Old Footage of Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Postby Nick » 25 Jul 2004, 18:19

Whilst browsing the BBC website, I stumbled across this old colour cine footage of the Pleasure Beach, showing the twin wheels, Big Dipper, Pleasure Beach Express and the Virginia Reel in action.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/chec ... =1&bbram=1

There is more vintage amusement park footage here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/chec ... =1&bbram=1

but what park is it?
Nick
Site Admin

cine film

Postby mike.lakes » 27 Jul 2004, 23:17

Thanks for the film clips.I was lucky enough to ride the Reel on more than one occasionand was very dissapointed when it was demolished,it was a great ride and one on which it was impossible to be anti-social,you had to hang on to each other for grim death,GREAT !! .I don't know where the second bit of film was taked but as there is a flying machine in the background I suppose it could be Blackpool again or even Southport.What do you think?
mike.lakes

Postby Gary » 30 Jul 2004, 19:53

Great clips Nick!!

I had lost hope of ever seeing footage on the net of The Reel.

I think the 2nd clip must be Blackpool..Are those 'Dodgems' the Lusse AutoSkooters?

Mike, for more on The Reel I interviewed an ex ride op last year "The End of The Reel") for my web site

www.the-magic-eye.com

My love for this classic but sadly defunct ride knows no bounds. :D
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Virginia Reel Clip

Postby porterm » 31 Jul 2004, 02:57

Hi all,

Not sure if it's my pc but I didn't detect any cars on the Reel track in the film clip (it just seemed to be static). However, the ride scenery was a bit more in keeping with how I remember my inaugural, and sadly only ride on this, back in July 1982, its final year of operation. If only I'd taken some photos! - you can see a good picture of the ride incidentally in the big Burger King restaurant upstairs near the Big One if you want to reminisce, along with the old Funhouse and Monster ride.

I remember an old clip of the Reel on an old BBC holiday show with Frank Bough. If I ever get time I may be able to find it on an old video tape that I seem to remember recording off the Travel Channel on cable some years ago. Happy memories. By the way Gary, I noted from your "End of the Reel" report that someone commented how rough the ride had become by the end. I can't say I really noticed anything there, unless I was just a tough novice in those days, and had no previous yardstick to go by!

I've never seen the, apparently, only smaller version of the ride remaining at the childrens' park in Great Yarmouth. Any one else been on it, or seen it, if it's still standing?

Martin
porterm

Postby Nick » 01 Aug 2004, 06:38

The Tyrolean Tubs at Joyland, Great Yarmouth, are very different to the Reel. For a start they are much smaller, and they aren't really a roller coaster, just tubs that follow a concrete trough. The Reel was a wooden coaster. They do look like the Reel, though, and are the closest thing we have. Reverchon spinning mouse rides are also, I suppose, a derivative of the Reel and might actually be the closest thing we have.

Nick
Nick
Site Admin

The Reel

Postby porterm » 01 Aug 2004, 13:49

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the info on the Great Yarmouth Reel. Haven't been to that resort for years (since 1996) and never really ventured into Joyland as it always looked like it was just for kids. (I guess it is actually!) A coaster friend of mine told me that they'd packed a whole bunch of rides into a very tight area. I never saw this "Reel" ride from the promenade so I'm guessing it's sited further back in the grounds.

I wonder if anyone will actually ever rebuild an original Virginia Reel again? - it would certainly be unique. With the current resurgence in wooden coaster appeal maybe it might just be the next thing for CGI or S&S etc. It would be great if they could build a taller enhanced version with today's technologies. I reckon it would have a strong captive audience if it were to be reborn somewhere (hint; why not @ PBB again?). I for one certainly wouldn't really miss that Globe Theatre building on the ride's former hallowed ground. I guess that site though would not be conjusive to the park's current wristband sytem however, with the current entry gates positioning.

Martin
porterm

Postby Gary » 01 Aug 2004, 19:19

Ironically Arrows / S&S "New Reel" sounded very much like The Turtle Chase / Tumblebug which could be seen in Nick's first clip when it was situated next to the Fun House. Not sure if anyone bought the newer version as a result of Arrow going bankrupt et al...

I know Nick Thompson was a staunch supporter of the old Virginia Reel and has said on more than one occassion that he would love to see it return..However when I emailed PBB 2 years ago I was informed that the ride would definately NOT be making a return... :cry:
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby barcrest » 02 Sep 2004, 12:48

http://www.holidayworld.com/more_family_rides.html

They have got one there apparently? Anyone know of any more. I don't remeber this ride as i was too young when i went whilst it was still there to remeber much of the pleasure beach.
barcrest

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum