Frontierland

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Frontierland

Postby mike.lakes » 27 Jul 2004, 22:30

Hello all.Has anyone out there got any info on what is happening to the Polo Tower at the old Frontierland site in Morecambe.I was down there on Sunday 25th July and it is now looking very run down.I have heard that the Log Flume there is going to Southport with a view to making theirs longer.Any news?
mike.lakes

Frontierland

Postby porterm » 31 Jul 2004, 03:05

Hello Mike,

I meant to visit this old defunct park back in April when I was down at BPB but didn't get time. Is the Polo Tower still standing there? - I read there were only a few rides left, including the old log flume (and cable car?) - I don't remember the tower ride as I only went to the park once in 1987, sadly never venturing inside apart from the front entrance wild west saloon building. It didn't look very big from the road, and the Texas Tornado also didn't appear very inviting, or very tall from the side road. Apparently I missed a classic coaster; what a sin.

Martin
porterm

Frontierland

Postby mike.lakes » 31 Jul 2004, 11:52

Hi Martin,The Polo Tower IS still standing but as I said is looking very sad,part of the roof of the ride cabin is missing and the base is standing in what looks like a great heap of gravel and builders rubble.The entire area once occupied by the park is now open,I had a wander on but apart from the few ramshackle rides left at the westend side of the park there is'nt much to see.It's a pity you did'nt venture onto the park as it was a great place with some great rides,the best being the Tornado.I rode this coaster 42 times one afternoon to celebrate my birthday a few years ago,the 2 lads on the brakes kept it open for me after closing time so I could get all the rides in.When it was torn down I managed to get a small piece of it and it now has pride of place on my coffee table
Regards MIKE
mike.lakes

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum