Just back from BPB...

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Just back from BPB...

Postby bpb daft » 16 Apr 2003, 23:16

3 non stop days of season pass enhanced BPB lunacy in incredible weather.

6 men working on the (waterless) Water Chute / Vikingar today - two working the upper curve, one measuring the drop with two other messing around in the 'splash' section. They certainly weren't dismantling - they were fixing. Looks slightly more promising ?

Valhalla working perfectly - all effects in place, ride working efficiently with no down time. Some enhanced sound and lighting and some minor new effects. All in all, Valhalla is now the ride it should have been in 2000. Magnificent.

Wild Mouse suffering some car problems and down time, however, the track is running very quickly again - return to insanity. Big Dipper running very quickly and smoothly - lots of new wood. Grand National - track from the 'North' station is getting out of hand ! Back seat is near intolerable, although I wouldn't have it any other way. Rollercoaster coasting like a dream, Big One running well although should have had 2 trains today (Wednesday). It ran with a large queue all day; the Avalanche plumped for 2 trains early on.

Hotel 75% finished, new arcade at South entrance under way, New sign for the Hiram Maxim, Virtual Reality Theatre a hit with the kids (although I found it underwhelming). No sign of the new cars on the Grand Prix. New 'Fruit Shoot' in Beaver Creek going down well with the kiddies, although seems to be suffering teething trouble. Like the 'World's biggest ricking horse' ride next to the Fruit Shoot.

GT was showing some suits around, particularly the hotel and site of the new 'arcade'. Also overheard some mumbled rumours about PROJECT 05...
Take care folks and stay alive.
bpb daft

Postby Gary » 18 Apr 2003, 08:18

Thanks for that!

Some questions..

1) Where is the new Virtual Reality Theatre? - Is it part of the proposed 'Ham on Rye' arcade at the South Entrance or is it new to Beaver Creek or elsewhere? ..and..er.. what goes on in there?

2) Has the Moser Spring / Bounce / Fruit Shoot ride got an official name yet?

3) "Worlds biggest ricking horse" ride.. Is this the Gallopers, vintage carousel or some new type of bucking bronco "World's first for BPB etc ride"?

Cheers!

Gary (Who really has better things to do in his life but for some reason always feels the desire to want to know things BPB much to the annoyance of his wife!)

http://bitsofthebeach.shorturl.com/
Gary

In response...

Postby bpb daft » 18 Apr 2003, 09:56

The VR theatre is in the space vacated by '1001 Troubles'. The 'show' is called Dragon Quest. There are 4 rows of comfy black leather seats. Each seat has a set of goggles with headphones and mics attached. There is also a hand-held button set. The goggles contain two t.v. screens. Some guy pretending to be American and dressed as Ozzy Osbourne guides you through the 5 minute computer animated nonsense whereby you have to fight dragons, surprisingly. Each person playing gets points based on your interaction.

The guy who appears in your goggles (Ozzy Osbourne dressed up guy) can see, hear and monitor everything you do. If there are only three of four playing at a time, he picks on you. The game consists of lots of waving of arms, stamping of feet and shouting. If you feel like a clown and try to hold back, you lose points. It's deeply embarrassing. Obviously, I (aged 30) ended up being watched by about thirty people while playing in the same game as two over excited ten year olds. You see, everyone going past the W. Mouse and the River Caves stops to watch, as the Theatre is open fronted. The commentary can also be heard over the loud speakers. Needless to say I finished last and was castigated by the Ozzy type guy.

As for the Fruit Shoot, this is the official name as sponsored by Robinson's drink of the same moniker.

The world's biggest rocking horse is just that - one rather large carousel type horse housed under an attractive wooden dome. Pay a quid and it rocks you back and forth. It sits right next to the Fruit Shoot in Beaver Creek.

By the way, don't worry about being obsessed by BPB. It could be worse. We could have an Alton Towers obsession (flame retardent suit on). We've both got women in tow, so we must be doing something right.
Take care folks and stay alive.
bpb daft

Postby Gary » 18 Apr 2003, 16:09

The VR theatre is in the space vacated by '1001 Troubles'. The 'show' is called Dragon Quest. There are 4 rows of comfy black leather seats. Each seat has a set of goggles with headphones and mics attached. There is also a hand-held button set. The goggles contain two t.v. screens. Some guy pretending to be American and dressed as Ozzy Osbourne guides you through the 5 minute computer animated nonsense whereby you have to fight dragons, surprisingly. Each person playing gets points based on your interaction.

Oh No!..Sacrilege!!..It's that word "Interactive" that has me reaching for the asprin..and on the sacred spot where once stood alone a classic mirror maze...Ozzy's cool though..

As for the Fruit Shoot, this is the official name as sponsored by Robinson's drink of the same moniker.

I'm sure I could possibly think of something witty to say here but..I can't..

The world's biggest rocking horse is just that - one rather large carousel type horse housed under an attractive wooden dome. Pay a quid and it rocks you back and forth. It sits right next to the Fruit Shoot in Beaver Creek.

And to think I used to ride one for free at The Blacklers Department Store in Liverpool when I was a kid.

Cheers!
Gary
Gary

Vikingar

Postby Ash » 20 Apr 2003, 23:21

Great news about the Vikingar!

Will have to arm myself with my BPB season pass and get my backside down there next week (asuming my backside has recovered from the last week of snowboarding ((or bum boarding!))

LONG LIVE THE VIKINGAR!!!

(Also, Gary, regarding the URC BPB in 10yrs time...Log Flume...I would put a hell of a lot of money on it still being there :wink: )

Ash
BPB Re-opens 1st March 2003

All rides £1!
Wristbands £13!
Ash

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum