Is Dreamland haunted?

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Is Dreamland haunted?

Postby gabriella » 01 Jul 2005, 23:58

Does anyone know if Dreamland is haunted? Anyone know about any ghost sightings or paranormal activity there?
:roll:
gabriella

Postby ricardobugsy » 03 Jul 2005, 20:53

Rumour is that it is...
Apparently the Strongman from the circus many years ago murdered a woman in the gardens there.
That is all I know.
I don't have any details about sightings of ghosts.
ricardobugsy

Postby porterm » 06 Jul 2005, 22:04

Hi Gabriella,

On one of my early visits to Dreamland in the late 70's/ early 80's I remember catching sight of a local newspaper front page story on the park's ghost(s). I believe the ghost(s) presented itself in the former ice rink building at the bottom left of the "tunnel" park entrance structure just before you turn left to go into the outside park toward the Scenic's left hand walk through archway.

As I once said before on the Save Dreamland forums, I would hope that the apparition(s) would fight off any future attempted destruction of the park buildings or attractions.

Martin

PS Maybe a future location for Living's "Most Haunted" TV series.
porterm

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 08 Jul 2005, 19:32

"Access to the gardens was through a tunnel built under the rink, one side of which was lined with ferns, the other an aquarium and aviary.

This was where in 1895 the circus strong man met a woman who promised him "a good time" in the gardens.

When she didn't live up to expectations, he strangled her and left her body among the plants. Her screams were drowned by the cries of the animals and birds disturbed by a firework display at the time.

The strong man was discovered and later hanged...........the ghost of the fated young woman is said to still haunt that part of Dreamland."

From the book, "Dreamland Remembered" by Nick Evans- recommended reading!

Vince
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum