Sky Sling at BPB

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Sky Sling at BPB

Postby Nick » 26 Jan 2003, 14:18

Does anybody have any idea where this is going to go? I can't think of a spacve that is big enough for one.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » 26 Jan 2003, 15:44

I am not sure yet of where the ride will go. I have always been under the impresion the ride will be open for next season. Does anyone know where this Frog Hopper ride will be going into Beaver Creek?

Andrew.
Andrew

Postby Ash » 26 Jan 2003, 18:23

As far as I can think, the Sky Sling will be going in the space taken up by the high divers near the Avalnche. GT is wanting to get people in that area, hence relocation of the Vintage Cars station when Convoy opened.

As for the new kiddies ride, I have no idea. Possibley out side the Space Invader under the Cableway?

Though strictly speaking, thats not in Beaver Creek.
(Does anybody else remember an out door play area there late 1990's)

Ash
Ash

Sky Sling

Postby bpb daft » 26 Jan 2003, 20:24

Firstly, could anyone describe accurately what a Sky Sling is and its exact height, speed etc. Any links to photos of such a ride in action would be appreciated.

When will it be built ? I hope it won't take as long as the Boosters took last year.

Secondly, has anyone got any concrete info about refurb jobs for this season ? Is the Big Dipper getting an anniversary makeover ? Is Valhalla being overhauled ? Any other rides getting an update apart from the Grand Prix ?

What about the 2005 ride ? Will it be a Superman: The Escape type coaster or will it be an S&S Arrow 4D coaster ?

Will the Millennium Bug be running this season - is the dome going with it ?

So many questions...so few answers.
Take care folks and stay alive.
bpb daft

Postby Andrew » 26 Jan 2003, 20:43

Ash wrote:As far as I can think, the Sky Sling will be going in the space taken up by the high divers near the Avalnche. GT is wanting to get people in that area, hence relocation of the Vintage Cars station when Convoy opened.

As for the new kiddies ride, I have no idea. Possibley out side the Space Invader under the Cableway?

Though strictly speaking, thats not in Beaver Creek.
(Does anybody else remember an out door play area there late 1990's)

Ash

Ash,

I have scanned in a picture of the soft play area. This is taken from the early 1990's, late 1980's. Not sure of the exact date.

http://www.geocities.com/pepsimax_bigon ... ayarea.jpg

I have some more somewhere else, will scan them in.

Andrew.
Andrew

Re: Sky Sling

Postby Andrew » 26 Jan 2003, 21:01

bpb daft wrote:Firstly, could anyone describe accurately what a Sky Sling is and its exact height, speed etc. Any links to photos of such a ride in action would be appreciated.

When will it be built ? I hope it won't take as long as the Boosters took last year.

Secondly, has anyone got any concrete info about refurb jobs for this season ? Is the Big Dipper getting an anniversary makeover ? Is Valhalla being overhauled ? Any other rides getting an update apart from the Grand Prix ?

What about the 2005 ride ? Will it be a Superman: The Escape type coaster or will it be an S&S Arrow 4D coaster ?

Will the Millennium Bug be running this season - is the dome going with it ?

So many questions...so few answers.

Hia,

http://www.screamscape.com/assets/image ... ng08_w.jpg

That is a picture of the Sky Sling ride that is meant to be coming to the Pleasure Beach.

I am not sure whether the Big Dipper is getting an anniversary make over, it would be nice if it did. Don't have long now to find out, just over a month :D

I believe Valhalla is meant to be having some of its effects changed and moved around on the area. The water vortex which never works, has been taken back to America and will be operating again this season.

There was talk ages ago about the Ghost Train having a refurbishment, and being made into a shoot out for this year, but I remember hearing that rumour in 2001.

The dome will still be there this season - I personally can't see the Millenium Bug being an easy ride to sell. Its old and out of date compared to the likes of travelling/ flat fairgound rides nowadays.

The coaster is planned for 2006, and is known as " Project 2006 ". I don't think the ride is an arrow coaster. Me thinks, Intamin.

Cheers, hope this helps.

Andrew.
Andrew

Sky Sling - NOT for BPB!

Postby Rich F » 26 Jan 2003, 23:00

Hi all

Okay - just to clear something up...

BPB are NOT going to be getting a Sky Sling. Sorry to be a party pooper. The story appeared in the trade magazine "Park World" and its wrong.

This doesn't mean to say the UK isn't getting one though...

Rich F
Rich F

Postby Andrew » 26 Jan 2003, 23:13

Well I have actually known for a while now, they are not getting one. I did not wanna be the party pooper either :( its Fantasy Island instead.

Andrew.
Andrew

Postby iain » 26 Jan 2003, 23:26

If the Frog Hopper is the same ride as the one at Flamingoland then it could go just about anywhere in Beaver Creek (I still prefer the name Funshineland) as it doesn't take up much room.

Iain
iain

Postby Andrew » 27 Jan 2003, 00:50

iain wrote:If the Frog Hopper is the same ride as the one at Flamingoland then it could go just about anywhere in Beaver Creek (I still prefer the name Funshineland) as it doesn't take up much room.

Iain

Hia Iain,

I think I prefer the name Funshineland as well. Although they do a good job of Beaver Creek for the kiddies, Funshineland just sounds better :)

Andrew.
Andrew

Postby Nick » 27 Jan 2003, 21:25

Does that mean the Sky Sling is going to Southport?

Nick
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » 27 Jan 2003, 22:13

Nick wrote:Does that mean the Sky Sling is going to Southport?

Nick

Nick,

I think the UK are just getting one and its going to Fantasy Island.

Andrew.
Andrew

Postby Fraser » 30 Jan 2003, 10:11

I must admit to feeling quite glad that BPB aren't getting a skysling for two reasons, 1 selfish and 1 sensible...

Selfish reason - I hate tower rides.

Sensible reason - they've already got a tower ride, and with space at such a premium they need to get rides in that offer a diverse day out. So more coasters please :P :lol: :D

Seriously tho' - if Geoffers was scene at an S+S fair signing a cheque, does that mean we might see a skyswatter or ...even better...a screaming squirrel???? The squirrel could be rethemed as a Beaver and called Bradley's Brainbasher. Or something like that.
Fraser

Postby Andrew » 30 Jan 2003, 18:12

Fraser, I don't think the Sky Sling is really a tower ride, I would compare it to the likes of Sky Screamer, on South Pier.

I am sure we will get another ride for next year though. The "gap filler" as its usually been known.

Andrew.
Andrew

Postby Stuart Gutteridge » 31 Jan 2003, 00:46

Andrew wrote:
Nick wrote:Does that mean the Sky Sling is going to Southport?

Nick

Nick,

I think the UK are just getting one and its going to Fantasy Island.

Andrew.

Yes Fantasy Island are getting a brand new S & S Sky Sling for this year it is named "Absolutly Insane"

also they are getting a new Mondial Prototype Ultramax ( like mealstrom at DMP but go's full 360) it is called "Amazing Confusion"!

and another ride, but more details too come soon.

Stuart Gutteridge
Stuart Gutteridge

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum