Another Classic on the danger list???

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Another Classic on the danger list???

Postby Ash » 08 Jun 2003, 22:07

After a recent visit to BPB it would seem that the BPB Log Flume is on the danger list.

Rumours have been cerculating for some time about the ride taking up a lot of space, which yes its true. But think of all the plus's the ride has. Its the Origonal version outside the US, and we all know how much BPB regret scraping the Reel. It is the parks best major water ride, Valhalla is too expensive for people using the PPR option, and the Vikingar goes either un-noticed or is closed. Also, a Log Flume appeals to a much wider specture of visitors than Valhalla.

These are still only rumours, lets hope thats all they stay.

Ash
BPB Re-opens 1st March 2003

All rides £1!
Wristbands £13!
Ash

Another classic on the danger list???

Postby Gary » 09 Jun 2003, 18:18

Ash, I totally agree..I would hate to see it go..The Log Flume was the first "thrill ride" I experienced as a kid..I rode it a couple of weeks back and it still provides great value for money..(The people dryer at the end came in very useful..I got soaked!!!)

Where have these rumours come from?..Are they credible?..Personally, I've always thought The Log Flume is ripe for removing from a businessman's point of view..(ie the space it takes up) but sentimentally..well, it would be a shame.

PS
On the subject of The Reel..A guy named Ian Beech who operated the ride and worked on its maintenance between 1978-1982 has just given an exclusive interview and provided themagiceye with over 20 photos of its last days..."The End of the Reel" will be up on themagiceye soon!

PPS..Are there any prospective buyers for the Millennium Bug yet???

http://themagiceye.shorturl.com
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Log Flume

Postby Ash » 09 Jun 2003, 22:42

Hi Gary, the rumours were around at the end of last year. But died off over the closed season and have stay out until yesterday, when I was told that would be happening by a ride op on the Spin Dr. I have heard somewhere that the PMBO ride op said the same. Also a mate of mine who is a regular to BPB (Rick) knows the bloke who checks the boats every morning, and he has also cought wind of it.

Would be a good idea, like you say from a space point of view, but BPB wouldn't be complete without the Log Flume. There are certain rides which feature with the woodies as part of BPB. The Revolution, Log Flume and Steeplechase are some of the 'give em 10 years and they WILL be classics'

Ash

All rides £1!
Wristbands £13!
Ash

Save the Classics

Postby Wilko » 13 Jun 2003, 10:27

I love the Log Flume (unless they turn on the car wash) because it is just pure Blackpool. It is probably the only one that could run without water! It would be a real shame for a ride like that to be removed for the reasons everyone has already listed above. I assume this would be for the big 2005 coaster that is in the planning stages.

On the other hand the log flume is huge and has a lot of turns that lake up a large area. I don't want to see it removed but could see why it has been suggested. However with the drop quite close to the Big Dipper, would it be possible to modify the ride so that takes up far less space without loosing too much of the ride character.

I really wish however that the park could find the space to rebuild the Virginia Reel. Still made from wood but with more modern building techniques (like Balder the Intamin Woodie) so that maintainance wouldn't be such an issue. Not sure how easy it would be to market the ride so I know it would never happen. I could easily see it go on the site of Burger King near the Steeplechase or maybe even the Space Invader.
JawCoasters - UK Coaster Reviews, Pictures and Cartoons
http://www.jawcoasters.co.uk/
Wilko

Log Flume

Postby Ash » 14 Jun 2003, 17:03

Good news people:

I have had a letter today from Mr G Thompson himself, I quote, 'Thank you for your letter of 9th June 2003. Fear not, fear not the Log Flume is not about to be demolished. It is the longest Log Flume in the world and it will remain th Blackpool Pleasure Beach for many years to come (albeit with some considerable themeing improvements)

So, looks likes we can stop worrying! :D

Ash

All rides £1!
Wristbands £13!
Ash

Postby aflack » 18 Jun 2003, 08:41

Thats great news, and to see some new themeing as well will make it an even better attraction.

I'm still intrigued to find out where this new attraction is going though and what it is. It seems GT has even said now that it will be 450ft as is mentioned on many forums and will cost £30 million and use state of the art special affects like Valhalla. I'm very perplexed as to what it will be.
aflack

Log Flume

Postby Ash » 12 Aug 2003, 23:11

Further more: the ride now has a sponsor!

The Comfort Fast Dry Log Flume: Makes your clothes dry faster!

Hardly likely to get a sponsor...then remove it are they!

Ash

All rides £1!
Wristbands £13!
Ash

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum