Thorpe Park

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Was slammer a waste of time and money?

Poll ended at 28 Mar 2006, 21:24

Yes its always braking down
60%
No it needs to to be sorted
40%
I fink the park rushed the ride
No votes

Total votes : 5

Thorpe Park

Postby mattchewmann » 21 Mar 2006, 21:24

Has any one heard of whats been going on down in Thorpe park, slammer, broke down and people were stuck for an hr and a half upside down, i am visiting in the next 3 weeks does anyone know whether it will be ready in time and tidal wave as that is shut at the moment.
mattchewmann

Postby porterm » 02 Apr 2006, 14:03

Just had to comment on your last poll question; did you mean to use the word "Rush" as a pun (seeing as it's their other new ride from last year).

I believe the park was only initally intending to purchase the giant swing ride, but as the manufacturer was S&S Power, who also make the swat type ride they got a deal to buy both units together. Although I personally find Slammer a very scary looking ride I think it's a very impressive looking attraction. The only other version, the Swat, as far as I'm aware was sited at the now defunct Six Flags' AstroWorld in Houston, Texas, to be relocated to their New England park this season I believe.

I think Thorpe Park made a brave decision to install the Slammer ride, however it does seem to be having more than its fair share of technical difficulties. I think the recent problem has been exaggerated though as I believe the arm was only stuck at about a 45 degree angle, hence the passengers were not stuck upside down. I think it would be a great shame to lose this unique ride; I just don't know if I'll be able to pluck up the courage to try it for myself this season. (I can do rollercoasters but this thing just looks quite freaky to me!)

Martin
porterm

Postby mattchewmann » 04 Apr 2006, 15:56

Riding slammer, is very simple, i went on it on my last visit in may last season, and i am off to thorpe park on thursday 6th april as friday will be my birthday, collouss and slammer are both reported shut, which is a big shame, but thorpe do need to get slammer working properly, know the poll was ment to say rushed as in [url]as building the ride rushed, did they do it to quickly, does anyone know any details about when these two rides will be re opening i am makin another apperance in may and a third in october on fright night. thanks to those who took part in my poll.[/url]
mattchewmann

Postby mattchewmann » 04 Apr 2006, 21:13

I hear slammer open 3 times today on a different forum for testing with people after the dummies were taken away, who knows it could open tomorrow Horray lol im visiting thursday lol
mattchewmann

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum