The last year for Rhyl's Funfair?

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

The last year for Rhyl's Funfair?

Postby Gary » 18 May 2006, 07:27

Rumours are in full flow on Rhyl type message boards at the moment....Asda to move in next year.. :(

Nick or Phil (Gould..if you are reading this) can you shed any light?

PS Phil very kindly wrote an article for themagiceye a few months ago about his childhood holidays in the parks of N Wales:

"Welsh Wonders" transports you back..

http://www.themagiceye.co.uk/welshwonders.html

Gary
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby Nick » 18 May 2006, 08:13

I have heard many rumours that 2006 will be the last year for Rhyl's Ocean Beach. The redevelopment proposal for Ocean Beach appeared on a developer's website until recently, and now it has been mysteriously removed...
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Gary » 14 Oct 2006, 16:49

BBC News October 10th 2006

Plans to redevelop Rhyl - and demolish the town's funfair - are due to be submitted to Denbighshire council.
Proposals for a new £85m scheme called Ocean Plaza include apartments, offices and a hotel, but not the historic tourist attraction.

Developers Modus Properties are due to submit the plans this week.

Funfair owner Harold Robinson said: "This has been a very difficult decision to make, but I am afraid this is the way the business has gone".

He added: "Over the last few years, foreign holidays, weekend sport and 101 other things have led to this.

"I think the West End of Rhyl and the town in general will benefit enormously from this. We just can't carry on as we are - the whole town needs this."

A spokesman for Denbighshire County Council said no plans had yet been submitted.
Gary

Postby Nick » 14 Oct 2006, 17:37

Yes, that is sad news. We also posted a report on the Joyland Books news page yesterday:

http://www.joylandbooks.com/news.htm#Amusement_
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Gary » 14 Oct 2006, 19:29

Thanks for that Nick- it makes very sad reading.

..Asda Supermarket and offices...

Mad World :(
Gary

Postby porterm » 17 Oct 2006, 22:56

Yes, very sad news indeed. I could kick myself now as I never made the effort for a park visit there after my early August European Coaster Club visit to Oakwood this year. Oh well - I got some final shots of what was left of Barry Island's Pleasure Park on my return journey. (Did I hear that park is closing now too?)

In years to come I can't quite believe anyone will be seeking out that long lost "classic" supermarket, but then maybe I really am just living in dreamland. Let's hope real escapism does not have to die a complete death in this country.

Perhaps this only proves the point that we must all really try and support our remaining parks next season, thinking it could be their last. With the proposed Camelot ventures for next season I reckon that's one park to watch (I heard there's a rather good Schwartzkoft classic heading over from a defunct Japan park), along with possibly one or two ex-Pleasureland Southport rides. No chainsaw required??

Martin
porterm

Postby furie » 07 Nov 2006, 14:18

Rhyl is a place to look closely at, as it's Margate's future if they're not careful.

Tehy've spent too long ignoring tourism, and encouraging "year round trade". That trade mostly being the unemployed and unemployable (down by the fair, mostly skag heads and doss houses).

I've holidayed in Rhyl year after year in my youth, then again in periods through my adulthood. The changes are very sad. A few years ago though, things started looknig up when a redevelopment of the promenade was started. It was looking good, until the cash ran out, and it never quite got finished (there's a half finished monorail running down the front, and it's a little Simpsonesque).

All the while, less and less investment was pumped into making the fair end of the town more presentable. In latter years, you'd fear for your wallet and life down that end of town. It all adds up to making the park less and less popular, and less and less viable.

In the end, that whole end of town is now in need of raising to the ground and rebuilding from scratch. However, the hotels and B&B's need to make their money from the poor souls that live there, and it's just not going to happen. A new supermarket in a rough end of town will soon end up as unused and derelict as Ocean Beach.

Maybe there's something in the local council plans that will avoid this situation, there's certainly hope as they recognise the problems. Margate hasn't gone this far down that path yet, but from what I've read from people posting on here, it's not too many years away...
Furie and the lop-eared lagomorphs of Lucifer
Failed to Save the Cyclone :(
furie

Postby bluea61 » 14 Nov 2006, 10:51

It seems crazy how these towns believe that redeveloping the things that are likely to bring some tourist trade in, ie the Fun Fairs, the Arcades, into shopping centres with posh bars and resturants is going to help the town.

I'm from Portsmouth and visited Rhyl this year to goto Ocean Beach, to the Tir Prince Raceway Fun Fair and goto the arcades. We had a really good time and would visit again to ride the rides. We were especially impressed with the Water Chute.

It seems that the town now believe that the best thing would be to invest in an ASDA and a bar/resturant/retail development. Why is that going to attract me to Rhyl? We have the Gunwharf Quays development in Portsmouth which is large, and the Whitely Village development in Southampton which is a real flop! We also have one of the biggest ASDA's in the country.

I understand Rhyl is very run down, but surely they can see its not going to attract any more people to the area by removing the "Real" tourist attractions.

In Portsmouth we have a good mix of attractions, Gunwharf, Spinaker Tower, Clarence Pier Funfair and Arcades, the Dockyards. Two Weeks ago the sea front was still a hive of activity. Its called mixing seasonal with year round attractions. If Rhyl could remove the derelict buildings and make these into a nice development and keep the Fun Fair and some arcades then they may be on a winner. Obviously investement in the Fun Fair would be needed, but it could easily be sucessful if the town around it is sucessful.
Steve
bluea61

Postby EAS » 14 Nov 2006, 11:13

Ah - but flogging the land off for development is more profitable it is believed - until of course no-one wants to go there.
EAS

Postby bluea61 » 14 Nov 2006, 12:42

^And like so many people have stated, why would anyone travel any distance to visit something they have in their own town.
Steve
bluea61

Postby furie » 14 Nov 2006, 14:32

bluea61 wrote:^And like so many people have stated, why would anyone travel any distance to visit something they have in their own town.

They wont, but by the time the council are kicked out at the next election, they've all earned a mint, and it's too late! Sorry, I have a very negative view of local government...
Furie and the lop-eared lagomorphs of Lucifer
Failed to Save the Cyclone :(
furie

Postby Coaster Manta » 27 Nov 2006, 13:34

I went to Rhyl this year and certanly didn't fear for my wallet. It was near deserted. In fact I thought the fair had already closed when I got there but then the staff were all to happy to open all the rides just for us.

I can understand how the site owners can make a huge profit by selling the site to a property company but don't see how the property company would make any profit as a tourist attract that brings in no tourists isn't going to make any money.
Without a Safety net your free to find serene pleasure of speed.
Coaster Manta

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum