Input requested

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Postby troy » 15 Jun 2006, 14:50

porterm

I don't know if you have seen this video but it is probably one of the most gutwrenching and upsetting things you'll ever see if you love coasters. A great POV video of the Texas Cyclone and it's final days at Astroworld.

(Broadband should stream it and turn up your speakers)

http://www.oldastroworld.com/cyclone/cyclone_0007.wmv

Seriously, you'll need a hanky.

Lets hope The Scenic never suffers such a fate.

Kind Regards

Troy
troy

Postby porterm » 15 Jun 2006, 23:45

Troy,

Thanks very much for referring me to that very sad video/ stills montage of the final days of Six Flags Astroworld, Houston, TX. Ironically, I could have been going on a coaster trek around Texas earlier this month with a small coaster enthusiasts group from the US. I believe it would've included the aforementioned park.

I thought the video/ stills captured the spirit of the park really well, and the closing scenes and shots certainly were quite painful to view. All I can say is Astroworld RIP; very sadly yet another lost park, along with a classic coaster that I never got to experience. As much as I normally like Six Flags for entry value I really can't agree with their stance on this former park. It seems that money does not mix well with human fun today. (I hope Cedar Fair, who own Cedar Point etc, and trade on the Footsie as "FUN" don't go down the same route now they are apparently taking over the Paramount Parks current park properties)

Mind you, I did luckily manage to attend Tennessee's, now closed, Libertyland park last June. I really liked what was supposedly Elvis' favourite coaster, the Pippin Dippin. I rode the woodie a few times and somehow, what with the prevailing current land redevelopment climate frenzy in my mind, just imagined how it could just be our last rides on that classic coaster. And, sadly I never took my then new video camera into that park (it was our first evening warm-up park near the tour hosts' home). Some you win ...

Martin
porterm

Previous

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum