Input requested

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Input requested

Postby Strongbow55 » 31 May 2006, 01:44

Hi folks
I would just like to ask you
If I was to buy a ride to put in a park and bearing in mind I am no millionare and never likely to be
what would be your suggestions?
I would personally go for a family ride and not a white knuckle one
any opinions would be welcome :wink:
Strongbow55

Postby lutonlad » 31 May 2006, 08:47

I would recomend something like a ghost train or fun house, both of these are family rides and used to be at dreamland, and were popular. On the variation of the fun house you can get ones with revolving cylinders that you walk on the inside, moving floors and stairs etc.
I saw one at a steam fair a few years back and it was like a larg climbing frame, all open and u could see right through the ride.

LutonLad
Webhosting, webdesign and more check me out at www.lutonwebs.co.uk Or have some fun in our free online arcade www.goldarcade.co.uk
lutonlad

Postby Nick » 31 May 2006, 18:55

How about the wooden Runaway Coaster from Folkestone? That is a portable ride. It needs a bit of money spending on it to get it working again, though.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby lutonlad » 01 Jun 2006, 16:53

Nick wrote:How about the wooden Runaway Coaster from Folkestone? That is a portable ride. It needs a bit of money spending on it to get it working again, though.

Nick is the runaway coaster for sale? i was on the understanding it has or was being demolished.
Webhosting, webdesign and more check me out at www.lutonwebs.co.uk Or have some fun in our free online arcade www.goldarcade.co.uk
lutonlad

Postby Nick » 01 Jun 2006, 18:48

It was certainly advertised for sale in World's Fair over several weeks a couple of years ago. Since then it has been standing but not operating. I haven't been to Folkestone for some time, so I don't know if it is still standing. But I expect there are people in the Save Dreamland Forum who could help.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
Nick
Site Admin

Postby troy » 01 Jun 2006, 19:25

As far as I am aware it is still standing as evidenced by this fantastic picture on March 6th

http://its-only-lines.my-expressions.co ... 194/132768

Dreamland would make a nice home for it. Two historic coasters on one park. Any takers as I really do hate to see things of beauty like the Runaway Coaster just end up as firewood.

Come on Strongbow. Sell that pub and buy the Runaway Coaster !!!

regards
troy
troy

Postby Strongbow55 » 02 Jun 2006, 00:07

troy wrote:As far as I am aware it is still standing as evidenced by this fantastic picture on March 6th

http://its-only-lines.my-expressions.co ... 194/132768

Dreamland would make a nice home for it. Two historic coasters on one park. Any takers as I really do hate to see things of beauty like the Runaway Coaster just end up as firewood.

Come on Strongbow. Sell that pub and buy the Runaway Coaster !!!

regards
troy

LOL Troy
the pub is my bread and butter
I think a pirate ship is a nice addition to a park
good family thing and not too scary
Strongbow55

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 04 Jun 2006, 09:07

Any idea what the asking price for the Runaway Coaster was Nick?
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Nick » 05 Jun 2006, 20:03

Vince, Charlie and Sam wrote:Any idea what the asking price for the Runaway Coaster was Nick?

I don't know. Given its condition now, I expect they would let it go for next to nothing as long as it was removed from the site.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Neil » 07 Jun 2006, 16:35

The Runnaway Coaster would be superb, and although it is in a sorry state when I saw it a couple of months ago it seemd to be in a better condition than Leap the Dips was when that was renovated so it should certainly be possible. When you say a park do you mean a theme park? I'm a little confused but it sounds good.
Neil

Postby lanesra » 13 Jun 2006, 09:02

What about something like the ladybird coaster that used to be at Dreamland? That's a family ride and other than the Scenic that was my favourite!!!
Rebuild the scenic u know it makes sense!!
lanesra

Postby MarkCF » 13 Jun 2006, 17:00

Agreed, something on a similar scale to the ladybird or a Tivoli custom would be a nice addition to a park, if you are looking for a coaster. It is certtainly a step up from the smallest dragon coasters which are slightly too small and alienate the older child demographic.

In terms of a thrill ride I think a swinging ship is a good idea. They are classic rides, people STILL love to ride them and they always get a good crowd. Also, perhaps a Round Up, again a classic fairground attraction that still pulls in a good crowd and by todays standards is not that scary or intense!
MarkCF

Postby troy » 14 Jun 2006, 17:51

I tell you one ride that has always facinated me but I've never had the pleasure of riding is the American built, Chance Rides Toboggan. Did they have one of these at Great Yarmouth once ??

There is one in this country as I found a picture of one at Dorset Steam Fair in 2002

http://www.fairground-rides.co.uk/images/gdsf0277.jpg

I found one in action at Cardiff (brief glimpses) and this vid also shows everything that Dreamland can be again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSw9cAMrZz8

I also found a bit of footage of one in action at Astroworld Houston Texas in the 70's and it looks really weird. It's quite a long video at about 6.5mins and the Toboggan is about 4.3mins in but well worth a look. Out of interest there are quite a few interesting rides featured including the Astrowheel at the start of the vid. Sadly the park was closed and bulldozed all within the space of a few months at the end of last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8qPwElYAys

I even found one for sale !

http://www.italintl.com/detail_page.php?record_id=179

Now, I only want a go on one not buy it, but is $80,000 a reasonable price for a ride like this ??. It's not a leading question as I genuinely have no idea but an opinion would be appreciated. (probably loose change for strongbow :lol: :lol: )

So if anyone knows the wearabouts of one of these this summer please let me know !

cheers
troy
troy

Postby porterm » 14 Jun 2006, 19:40

Troy,

Yes, I'm sure there was such a "coaster" at Great Yarmouth; it was certainly there in 1996 during my last area visit (whilst at a Soul weekender!) My friend at the time rode it and said he practically hit his head on the rather low vehicle roof towards the end of the ride. I wasn't so into coasters then and I sadly never rode it. A very unusual ride none the less.

I loved the Astroworld clip by the way; must have been before 1978 as I saw no sign of the park's wooden coaster, the famous Texas Cyclone (it had a huge man's head that you walked through to get to the queue line - looked rather like a fun house entrance). Sadly because of Six Flags there's no more Playtime in Houston, and I reckon they certainly do have a problem now. (I also believe that the group did not get anything like their projected land value for the former amusement park site - perhaps an ironic twist for other operators hoping to "cash in" for a killing)

Martin
porterm

Suggestions

Postby cliffc » 15 Jun 2006, 09:00

Hi

I would suggest a round up or if you could find one a satelite ride old but still an nice fun ride IMHO.

Cliff C
cliffc

Next

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum