Cedar Point. Sandusky, Ohio, USA

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Cedar Point. Sandusky, Ohio, USA

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 26 Jun 2006, 17:23

Don't hate me, but I went to Cedar Point 2 weeks ago.
They have 16 rollercoasters, many of which were world record holders including;

Gemini. At one time the tallest coaster in the world at 125 feet. It's a racing coaster and may still hold the title for tallest racing coaster.

Magnum 200XL. 205 feet tall. Formerly record holder as tallest and fastest coaster in the world. (Note when watching the video. It's smooth but FAST. The video doesn't do it justice. What you can't see in the tunnels is that the track goes up and dips, so you can't see it coming. The 2nd half is relentless and the video doesn't capture it. There's a reason this is voted Best in the World. It is.)

Millenium Force. 310 feet tall. Formerly record holder as tallest and fastest coaster in the world.

Top Thrill Dragster. 425 feet tall. Slingshot launch coaster. Formerly record holder as tallest and fastest coaster in the world. Still second tallest, I think. The incline is 90 degrees and I think the decline is 89 degrees. 120+ miles and hour. You go from 0 to 120 MPH (that's 193 KPH) in about 4 seconds.

Mean Streak. 161 feet. Former record holder as tallest and fastest wooden coaster in the world. Still has record for longest wooden coaster drop and top speed. This one is rough. it's been tamed down with the addition of a brake on the first hill. The last few runs of the night late in the season, they will sometimes disable this brake station and let her rip the way she was intended. Relentless and rough.

Raptor. Former record holder for most inversions and still the only overhead track coaster with a double helix inversion.

Corkscrew. 1976. First coaster to invert 3 time and also span the midway. Visitors walk directly underneath the double corkscrew section.

Mantis: This is a stand up coaster and was once the tallest, fastest of it's kind. This one will tear your calves off in it's second section. It's 4 across so the trains are massive and their mass becomes apparent in the second half.

Here's the page on their coasters, full track videos, and additional information. Navigate their site for additional rides including the classic Cedar Downs racing derby built in 1920, of which only 2 survive.:

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/r ... /index.cfm

If you click on the names of the rides, there are additional photos and videos.

This park features some wonderful live shows, great vintage rides, and LOTS OF GREEN AND TREES!
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum