Slater's Funfairs...

What is happening at your local tober? Who has the best waltzer? What new rides have visited your area? This is the place to post your fairground messages.

Moderator: dave771

Slater's Funfairs...

Postby EAS » 04 Nov 2006, 22:13

I've just had a wonderful evening at Carlisle Fireshow, one of the best in Britain, followed by a trip round the travelling funfair - next to Carlisle Castle, in Bitts Park.

The place was packed, a great selection of rides and sideshows for all ages, including a ghost train.

The same fair travels around my local towns. Thank heavens for the people who keep this great tradition alive, life would be so much poorer without them.
EAS

Re: Slater's Funfairs...

Postby Strongbow55 » 13 Mar 2007, 03:15

EAS wrote:I've just had a wonderful evening at Carlisle Fireshow, one of the best in Britain, followed by a trip round the travelling funfair - next to Carlisle Castle, in Bitts Park.

The place was packed, a great selection of rides and sideshows for all ages, including a ghost train.

The same fair travels around my local towns. Thank heavens for the people who keep this great tradition alive, life would be so much poorer without them.

I am a little poorer after buying Slaters Zipper :wink: Thank god Its Now been sold on to a company in Australia who have the knowledge to repair and maintain this ride no ones fault just one of those things
after years of neglect by different owners and temporary repairs
Slaters provide a lovely wide ranging family fair and I must agree they can put on a great local fair and have some nice old tyme stuff too
its not quite the carters of the north east but not far off :D
when I bought Slaters zipper Rue was very helpful when I struck a few problems always available on the phone and helped as much as he could
very nice family very nice Fair and very hard working
always value for money so well worth a visit
Strongbow55

Re: Slater's Funfairs...

Postby furie » 13 Mar 2007, 09:52

Strongbow55 wrote:its not quite the carters of the north east but not far off :D

I had the pleasure of visiting Carters when they were at Alton Towers in February. It was really quite wonderful, and the whole Family_Furie had a great time.

I got to ride on my first Dive Bomber too, and it was just as evil and fun as I thought it would be. It's superb that the tradition is kept alive and that people do still see the value in it.

I just wish we had something a little more traditional visiting Stafford regularly (there are fairs on the commons twice yearly, but it's all modern fare).
Furie and the lop-eared lagomorphs of Lucifer
Failed to Save the Cyclone :(
furie

Postby EAS » 13 Mar 2007, 11:54

I went once and once only on a Dive Bomber... Town Moor Newcastle.

It's a bit like a Wild Mouse - once is enough!
EAS

Postby Patrice » 26 May 2007, 15:23

Hi Just joined the forum and reading the threads with great interest
William and Betty Slater were my Grandparents and i traveled with the fair till i was 20 then settled down.
Any questions just ask i will be more than pleased to help
Patrice
Patrice

Postby EAS » 21 Jun 2007, 19:51

Just to say - Slater's Family Fair is in my local town this week - I hope to be there even with the mud!
EAS

Return to Travelling Fairs Forum