sad day for the wheel

What is happening at your local tober? Who has the best waltzer? What new rides have visited your area? This is the place to post your fairground messages.

Moderator: dave771

sad day for the wheel

Postby strongbow » 17 Sep 2007, 03:32

Unfortunately due to lack of storage and lack of interest from preservation groups
the oldest elli bridge big wheel in the country will be going for scrap
new to thomas whitelegg in 1947 and remaining with the family for generations featured in many a cornish fairground book
no one wants to be the custodian of this machine despite my efforts to emphasise the importance of this machine historically
storage fees i cannot afford and repairs that are minor I cant afford
another winter without maintainance will be catastrophic
so its a date with the torch at the scrap yard
not for the money that it will bring but for the money it will save in storage fees
no doubt someone will feel that they can buy this machine cheap
that is not going to happen
this machine is a museum or heritage piece
and is offered free of charge to a museum or heritage park so long as i remain owner and that the machine is maintained and that i get to ride it now and again
subject to a legal agreement
This machine may not be a platform ride but has more history attached than you can shake a stick at
im amazed dingles did not want it as its a cornish wheel seemingly dreamland has a more historical on lined up which is impossible
in historical terms
strongbow

Re: sad day for the wheel

Postby David Littleboy » 17 Sep 2007, 19:25

strongbow wrote:Unfortunately due to lack of storage and lack of interest from preservation groups
new to thomas whitelegg in 1947 and remaining with the family for generations featured in many a cornish fairground book
no one wants to be the custodian of this machine despite my efforts to emphasise the importance of this machine historically
not for the money that it will bring but for the money it will save in storage fees
and is offered free of charge to a museum or heritage park so long as i remain owner and that the machine is maintained and that i get to ride it now and again
This machine may not be a platform ride but has more history attached than you can shake a stick at
im amazed dingles did not want it as its a cornish wheel seemingly dreamland has a more historical on lined up which is impossible
in historical terms

Hi Steve,

It sounds like an interesting peice of equipment, I had not seen it advertised anywhere? perhaps I've just not been paying attention?

What state is it currently in? someone somewhere mentioned it had been twisted in the wind? is this just someone making mischief or does it need repairs?

Are there any recent photos ? I'm amazed a preservationist isnt interested in taking it on, surely someone who likes to preserve the heritage we have would pay more than the scrap man and that must be a better result.

Sadly I think a sale will be the only solution as museums are always unable to take in other peoples things as this would in effect mean they were using public money to store and restore someone elses property.

If your interest really is seeing it preserved as you indicate why not donate it lock stock and barrell or perhaps for the scrap value. You never know someone might chip in the scrap value if it were being donated.

Regards

David
David Littleboy

Re: sad day for the wheel

Postby part timer » 26 Sep 2007, 10:54

strongbow wrote:Unfortunately due to lack of storage and lack of interest from preservation groups
in historical terms
are you interested in selling the machine, rather than cutting it up for scrap ?
part timer

Wheel

Postby dreams come true » 26 Sep 2007, 22:31

I dont think he is as i have pm him twice for a friend and still no reply
dreams come true

Ferris wheel

Postby Mike Smith » 27 Sep 2007, 03:07

The wheel is up for sell on the rundles web site for £10,000 plus vat.

Hope this helps.

Mike Smith
Mike Smith

Postby dreams come true » 27 Sep 2007, 23:52

and has been since it got there.
Your on about scraping it which at todays scrap value you would only get 2-3 grand max.
Sell it at the right price and let someone restore it to it former glory,myself would be for the better.
No one is going to be interested at that price with the work that is still remaining on it
Rundles have had this sat in there yard for nearly 12months if not more.
Give someone with the right intensions to finish the job Steve started and have the satisfaction you wernt the one that scrap'd such a historical ride.

After over 7 days and still no reply to my pm's i am now thinking your just after scaring people into buying it at a stupid price.(After all at the moment all it is, is scrap).
dreams come true

Postby dreams come true » 06 Oct 2007, 00:13

Well its 2 weeks since i pm'd over the wheel and still no sign of a reply, Hope you find someone to buy it as my friend now thinks your a JOKE as he has cash and the space to work on it.

As for the sad day S*** weve heared it all before on other units no wonder people off the other forum took the p*** either fix it and work it or sell it

Its a shame this unit is just going to rot because advertiser cant be arsed

SAD DAY FOR BIG WHEEL AND SELLER YOUVE JUST LOST A POTENTIAL CUSTOMER
SO DONT EVEN BOTHER PMing ME
dreams come true

Postby strongbow » 10 Oct 2007, 17:07

dreams come true wrote:Well its 2 weeks since i pm'd over the wheel and still no sign of a reply, Hope you find someone to buy it as my friend now thinks your a JOKE as he has cash and the space to work on it.

As for the sad day S*** weve heared it all before on other units no wonder people off the other forum took the p*** either fix it and work it or sell it

Its a shame this unit is just going to rot because advertiser cant be arsed

SAD DAY FOR BIG WHEEL AND SELLER YOUVE JUST LOST A POTENTIAL CUSTOMER
SO DONT EVEN BOTHER PMing ME

Arrived back from Holiday yesterday
sorry I dont take my PC on vacation with me :)
strongbow

Postby Jue » 11 Oct 2007, 13:29

What is the lastest with the wheel :?:
Jue

Postby strongbow » 15 Oct 2007, 03:43

Jue wrote:What is the lastest with the wheel :?:

Its still at rundles in storeage
they are not charging me a lot to keep it there thankfully
but there is no way I can afford the work to be done on it at the moment
due to unforseen circumstances
its a good 400 quids worth of deisel to go and pick it up plus a drivers fee as i dont drive hgv
the unit we have for it was adapted to fit the trailer as its an old trailer and the 5th wheel was moved as far back as we could to take the trailer
consiquently the tractor unit is on a sorn so it will have to be taxed and have an mot before i can insure it
the cheapest storage i can find here in kent is 65 pounds a week for the trailer stored outside if i lived further north it is so much cheaper
i guess im just frustrated at not being able to get this sorted in the near future LOL
my main concern is that the wheel is stored outside and that can not be helping the machine at all as the only sheets are on the cars
I need to get it inside
posting about scrapping was just pure frustration
sometimes you just get to the end of your tether
:(
here is hoping I can get it sorted
I am not on line often at the moment so miss many posts
strongbow

Postby dreams come true » 18 Oct 2007, 01:24

TO BE BLUNT

HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT FOR IT AND IF BY ANY CHANCE YOUR NOT SELLING HOW MUCH ARE YOU WILLING TO PAY FOR STORAGE PER WEEK
dreams come true

Postby strongbow » 19 Oct 2007, 02:12

dreams come true wrote:TO BE BLUNT

HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT FOR IT AND IF BY ANY CHANCE YOUR NOT SELLING HOW MUCH ARE YOU WILLING TO PAY FOR STORAGE PER WEEK

5 grand would see it away
rundles are very good as I just had an invoice today for 250 quid plus vat for the last 6 months storage
its been there over 2 years now or thereabouts I paid 7 for it from steve andrews in the west country
if u require further info please email me at lordredhill@hotmail.com
as I am not here on a daily basis
strongbow

Postby GLEN QUIGMIRE » 27 Oct 2007, 12:17

Five grand is way off IMO a certain showman near me bought a wheel still in test with a tractor unit and set for five grand.

If all you are doing is scrapping it why not sell it for scrap value to someone who will restore it.
GIGGDY GIGGDY
GLEN QUIGMIRE

Postby strongbow » 11 Nov 2007, 05:03

GLEN QUIGMIRE wrote:Five grand is way off IMO a certain showman near me bought a wheel still in test with a tractor unit and set for five grand.

If all you are doing is scrapping it why not sell it for scrap value to someone who will restore it.

actually 5 grand is very cheap
no doubt you have inspected my wheel before you assume that it is way off the mark on price
I would be interested to see where a certain showmans wheel has been open this year if he or she only paid 5 grand for the wheel lorry and set
can you give me the wheel number so i can trace ownership please
as i keep records from the rides list of wheel changes in ownership
please look at all the fun of the fairs rides list

its the best website for facts and figures and much more
http://www.fun-fairs.co.uk/bigwheel.html
they are a friendly bunch over there and have more accumilated knowledge than you can shake a stick at

your friend obviously had a good deal
I bought my learning I dont do those mistakes anymore LOL :wink:
I am sure that others like myself who bought old equiptment and for one reason or another could not complete the transformations will understand
the stupid bond you make with the machine that it almost takes over your life
its almost like a bitter divorce
if I cant have her no one else will
but you carry on paying maintainance ie storage
threaten to throw her on the scrap heap but you just cant do it
ask any old ride owner im sure they feel similar
then you get the freebie hunters knowing fine well they will turn a profit
after they have taken you for a ride
strongbow

THE WHEEL SHOULD GO TO DREAMLAND

Postby "KING OF THE FLUMER » 03 Jan 2010, 10:48

The DREAMLAND TRUST would be glad to acquire it for THE DREAMLAND HERITAGE PARK
As "KING OF THE FLUMERS" I myself many years ago experienced the now historic SCENIC RAILWAY,It is my greatest wish to see it restored to its former glory and splendor and to experience it once again.
"KING OF THE FLUMER

Next

Return to Travelling Fairs Forum