What is this ride?

What is happening at your local tober? Who has the best waltzer? What new rides have visited your area? This is the place to post your fairground messages.

Moderator: dave771

What is this ride?

Postby Gary » 28 Oct 2007, 21:48

Driving near Marton in Blackpool today (Near ERNIE Premium Bonds office) I saw in the distance what looked like quite a large Fair..In the few seconds that I saw it one ride stood out.

I've never seen anything like it before!

It looked (at first) like a Helter Skelter but I swear there were rails running around the outside of the central tower and what looked like a bunny hop or two at its base.

Was this a coaster?

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

Gary[/i]
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby porf » 28 Oct 2007, 22:13

Could it have been a Chance Toboggan? (http://www.flatrides.com/Ride%20Index%20Pages/toboggan.html)

There was one at Great Yarmouth a while back, probably generated a lot of trade for local Chiropractors if my one ride on it was anything to go by! The lift hill on your back is quite fun, the spiral run down was quite sedate then it tried to break your back at the bottom.

Rode one another in the States in 2006 and that was a lot milder at the bottom. Will try and dig out a better photo
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby porf » 28 Oct 2007, 22:22

If it's that ride then the one in the States is at Lakemont Park - The same place with Leap The Dips, the oldest wooden coaster in the world.

Photo from my trip :

Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby AJ » 28 Oct 2007, 22:30

Is this what you saw?

If so they are called Toboggans and are built by Chance Rides. They are fairly common in the USA.
AJ

Postby Gary » 29 Oct 2007, 08:08

AJ wrote:Image

Is this what you saw?

If so they are called Toboggans and are built by Chance Rides. They are fairly common in the USA.

Thanks for your help gents..Yep, that's the one!! :D

Gary
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby kevinashe » 30 Oct 2007, 19:08

there was one travelling around Scotland 3 years ago,it popped up in Grangemouth and it also appeared somewhere else that year but i cant remember although i havent seen it for a few years,possibly the same one.
kevinashe

Postby troy » 31 Oct 2007, 15:51

I love this ride !

You'll definately need discs replaced after riding. It's also advisable to wear a crash helmet as the taller rider will almost certainly knock themselves out on the roof.

There's only one in the UK, owned by Stuart Miller still as far as I am aware.

There is a clip of the very one in action in Nottingham on Youtube here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzlEmydrv78
troy

Return to Travelling Fairs Forum