An online resource for vintage fairground ride enthusiasts

What is happening at your local tober? Who has the best waltzer? What new rides have visited your area? This is the place to post your fairground messages.

Moderator: dave771

An online resource for vintage fairground ride enthusiasts

Postby RJW » 17 Jan 2008, 14:00

As a long-time fairground enthusiast, there are few things that can beat a ride on the Skid or Octopus.

Over the past year, however, I usually found out about these rides opening within an easy drive of home after the event had finished.

My project for this year is an online system that will let ride owners and event organisers inform visitors about when and where vintage fairground rides will be open. I have absolutely no idea if it will take off, but if you are at all interested in getting an event that you are organising or a vintage ride that you are travelling involved in the system, please let me know! This is my contribution to the traditional fairground preservation effort, and is being offered as a free service for all those doing the hard work in keeping our wonderful fairground heritage alive.

The embryonic site is at www.vintagefairgroundrides.org.uk - please take a look and let me know what you think!

Thanks for reading!

Rob Warner
RJW

Postby part timer » 18 Jan 2008, 13:39

had a look at your site, so what happens in the ride is pre 1919, like Steam yatchs... do they not qualify ?
part timer

Postby RJW » 18 Jan 2008, 15:21

Hi PartTimer

That date is in reference to the definition of a vintage car (1919 to 1930) - which is one of the definitions of vintage that I am not using.

Steam yachts are more than welcome! I'm focussing on rides that - quite simply - we don't often see anymore. I'm starting with the Skid and Jets because I have a contact who is travelling with these rides in 2008. The ride list in the database will get longer as more people get involved with the site.

I hope this answers your query.

Regards,

Rob
RJW

Return to Travelling Fairs Forum