Could Margate rival Southend?

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Could Margate rival Southend?

Postby Cheryl » 03 May 2011, 11:38

Just returned from a fantastic weekend with my family at Southend. Never been there before and was thoroughly impressed. Loved the lines of palm trees along the seafront, a great touch. The place was absolutely rammed with Adventure Island being extremely busy even late into the evening - staying open until 10.30pm.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I think of what Philip Miller could have achieved at Dreamland and I will never forgive TDC for this missed opportunity. At least they have finally seen the light and are now supportive of Dreamland, but really, what a lot of wasted years there have been and millions lost in revenue for the town.

However, there is one thing about Margate that will always wipe the floor with Southend - the beautiful sandy beach. Lets hope it won't be too long before Margate can give Southend a good run for its money!
Cheryl
Cheryl

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 05 May 2011, 00:13

Palm trees! Excellent idea.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby Zoidstar » 05 May 2011, 22:44

Jim Douglas Jr. wrote:Palm trees! Excellent idea.

After a bit of a shaky start the Palms are starting to bed in quite well, new shoots and leaves are growing, there are a few brown leaves on some but like any new tree they takes time to take a firm root.

Taken during the London-Southend car rally, I know its black and white but just used for illistration.

Sameday but in colour
Zoid on!
Zoidstar

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 06 May 2011, 20:32

We went to Adventure Island last week, the whole town was rammed full of people spending money. Pity that Mr Godden seems to have lost his business acumen really, we would rather have gone to Dreamland.

A quick pic of the boys for anyone who knows them, especially Dave who has known them since they were toddlers, they have definitely lost their cuteness now, it seems to have been replaced by attitude and acne. :wink:

Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby dave771 » 06 May 2011, 20:53

Looks like they are having a great time there. Not quite the same as those two cute kids that used to sit together on the front seat of the Scenic ! Hopefully they will again sometime soon !
Please dont waffle our Walter !
dave771

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum