Work starting on scenic railway

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Re: Work starting on scenic railway

Postby sparky230 » 14 Jul 2014, 14:24

When I used to inspect wiring on theme parks i have seen generic engineering diagrams that came from a full strutuce survey of the Scenic thats in Lunar Park melbourne, I would imagine that these are avalible as a reference
sparky230

Postby aweber1us » 14 Jul 2014, 16:24

My Understanding is there are next to no drawings of the Scenic, i am told that a lot of the work will need to come from photoghraphs. i guess looking at the Scenic most of what is left will only form some kind of template for the rebuild of the ride. Not sure if anything remains of the trains bogies which would help the rebuild of new trains, but i understand there are some Dragons heads about that are off a Scenic .
aweber1us

Postby porf » 15 Jul 2014, 08:28

There's a bit of structural detail in the various planning applications along with mentions of the dreaded health and safety.

In particular the "28 Mar 2014 Other" document under the Scenic planning application is 47 pages long and has structural details noted as being taken both from a 3D scan and the use of photographs for the missing sections.

They can all be found at http://www.ukplanning.com/thanet
Then enter the part in bold in the Application Number box for each of the following:

L/TH/14/0231 - SCENIC RAILWAY, DREAMLAND, MARINE TERRACE, MARGATE, CT9 1XJ
F/TH/14/0233 - DREAMLAND, MARINE TERRACE, MARGATE, CT9 1XJ
L/TH/14/0232 - DREAMLAND, MARINE TERRACE, MARGATE, CT9 1XJ
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby Peet » 15 Jul 2014, 19:40

That information is absolutely great, thanks for posting. It's really starting to show just how much work has already been done.
Peet

Postby Coaster Scenery » 15 Jul 2014, 19:56

Yes indeed, thanks for that.

A few points from the document;

It is stated that HSE and ADIPS require that the rear wheels no longer leave the track at any point. In my mind in order to satisfy that requirement parts of the drops will require reprofiling; I guess this would mostly affect the first drop off the second lift. Were there any other points where vertical derailment was common?

Apparently it is also required that passengers are no longer able to extend their arms out of side of the train and make contact with the structure. That seems an awkward thing to accomplish if the design of the Luna Park trains is copied.

I'm also interested in the 'dead man's handle' that is mentioned. Was this a feature of the original braking system or is it a misnomer? The trains at Yarmouth require positive action for braking otherwise they just roll away. I would have thought this would be the case here. Either way though it seems that HSE are requiring the default to be brake on rather than brake off.
Coaster Scenery

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 18 Jul 2014, 23:20

This is all very exciting.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby vann98 » 07 Aug 2014, 13:56

Hi all.
I have been slightly distant from the campaign lately and haven't got round to visiting Margate in some time. Judging from the latest newsletter, it seems that the new Visitor Centre has really hit it off. My family went up the other day to take a quick look and gave a positive review.

However in my absence, I was wondering if anyone knew how physical work on either the park or Railway was coming on. The last I heard, parts of the ride were being surveyed/repaired off site. Is this still the priority or have they moved onsite?

I hope to help with one of the next stages of volunteering when the time comes.
vann98

Postby dave771 » 07 Aug 2014, 22:21

There should be some news on the Scenic in the very near future. The parts from the power house, motors, pull ups etc are being refurbished by WGH Ltd in Doncaster at the moment and they are also working on rebuilding the trains.
Please dont waffle our Walter !
dave771

Postby sparky230 » 07 Aug 2014, 22:26

Dowding and Mills in Ashford have one of the motors, I've seen it in the overhaul bay,
sparky230

Postby dave771 » 08 Aug 2014, 21:13

May be similar to ours but they have gone to Doncaster to be overhauled not Ashford.
dave771

Postby sparky230 » 09 Aug 2014, 08:36

I was told it was being worked on for contract for wgh, then to be shipped to doncaster for reassembly

Ashford is dowdings main rewind base, bits go in out there for jobs all over the place
sparky230

Postby dave771 » 09 Aug 2014, 22:06

You may be right, when we loaded the parts as far as im aware they all went to Doncaster, just seemed odd to go there then back to Kent.
dave771

Postby sparky230 » 10 Aug 2014, 08:58

It's not Unsual in my trade, I'm a electrical engineer, Dowdings are the biggest motor rewinders and reconditions in the Buiness

They get parts in from all over the world, I belive the motor was having the stator bars redone, which means of all dowding sites, it went to, it would have gone down to ashford as that's where the relevent kit is
sparky230

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 11 Sep 2014, 19:36

Was anything from the original trains salvageable?
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby Nick » 12 Sep 2014, 07:50

Jim Douglas Jr. wrote:Was anything from the original trains salvageable?

Not much, just axles and wheels, which can't actually be used but are helpful in fabricating replacements.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum