dreamland growing up

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

dreamland growing up

Postby ouchie » 06 Aug 2003, 15:21

I was born in margate and left the area in 2002, and can I say I am absolutely gutted about dreamland closing.

I used to go to there every weekend with friends and family and they were great days out.

Now my children will probably never get to know the real margate, as margate with dreamland is like paris without eifel tower.
ouchie

Margate Growing Up

Postby porterm » 13 Aug 2003, 20:30

Hello ouchie,

Yes, I completely agree with your comments re Dreamland Park. I was there last Saturday with one of my best friends and his almost two year old son. As he commented, whilst we both looked up at the operating Scenic Railway, his son may not get to ever take a ride on this incredible ride. I like to always have an optimistic view on things, and believe with adequate support, we can achieve a positive outcome for the park's future. It's all to easy to take a negative approach; a young local girl I spoke to in a local fish and chip restaurant seemed to think that the park wasn't really worth saving. She said if they could bring it back to its condition a couple of years ago she would have a different view. Sadly, she cannot remember the park at its peak.

It was great to see some "Save Dreamland" posters in quite a few local shops in the area now. Hopefully this will impose some real local campaigning/ support for the park's future. I'm quite sure that many park visitors were not really aware of its threatened future, and if they return next year to a possible empty space thay will only complain. Apathy is a very easily caught disease; the time for action is now! - next year will probably be just too late.

Keep up the good work everyone and continue to support the Scenic.

Martin :D
porterm

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum