Big Wheel Transported

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Big Wheel Transported

Postby Palfrey » 26 Aug 2003, 18:47

Hi,

I am aware that the big wheel was removed a while back now, but does anyone know how long it took to take down and transport. Incidentally where did it go? I heard Scotland was one location. That must have been a huge tasks getting that out of Margate.

Does anyone have any information or photos of the work taking place removing it?

Also, was the rumour of it slowly sinking into the ground ( due to weight )over the years a true picture as to why it came down ?
Palfrey

Big wheel

Postby imansfield » 26 Aug 2003, 20:24

Hi again,

Regarding the big wheel, everything you need to know about the Big wheel is in the book "Dreamland remembered", including pictures of it being dismantled! Buy it now from joylandbooks.com!

As for it sinking in the ground, just an urban myth I expect.

Ian
imansfield

Big Wheel

Postby dave771 » 26 Aug 2003, 20:52

The Big Wheel was removed in the winter of 1996 due to falling visitor numbers according to the current owner and was sold to Rene Aziz of the Magico Group in Mexico for an undisclosed figure.

It took approximatly 3 weeks to pull down and was transported by road to Sheppey where it was shipped to Mexico.
dave771

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum