Response to Thanet Revised Local Plan

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Response to Thanet Revised Local Plan

Postby porterm » 31 Aug 2003, 02:36

Hello all,

I've just glanced over Thanet Council's draft response to the Local Plan, and unless I've misinterpreted it, it appears to be a bit more encouraging than I had imagined. I was very pleased that Stadium Developments' plan for total retail/ new leisure usage appears to have been rejected in principal.

I still remain rather cautious in Thanet Council's overall objectives for the future of the Dreamland site but I hope that they will succomb to our viewpoint for the future of the site as a revitalised, reinvigorated, amusement/ theme park attraction destination. I believe that the proposed Westwood retail redevelopment will plug the gap in the area's retail competitiveness, and strongly agree that any total retail redevelopment of the Dreamland site would be wholly inappropriate. (I for one do not really care dramatically for the continued retail expanses; sadly a trip to a shopping mall appears to have become a day's outing for some people, especially on Sundays. I personally do not think it can ever compare to the thrills and fun offered in a day out at an amusement/ theme park facility).

Martin :D
porterm

Re: Response to Thanet Revised Local Plan

Postby cliffc » 02 Sep 2003, 11:55

retail competitiveness, and strongly agree that any total retail redevelopment of the Dreamland site would be wholly inappropriate. (I for one do not really care dramatically for the continued retail expanses; sadly a trip to a shopping mall appears to have become a day's outing for some people, especially on Sundays. I personally do not think it can ever compare to the thrills and fun offered in a day out at an amusement/ theme park facility).

Hi there

I would agree with you that it seems a trip to your local shopping center seems to be a good day out, but at least the builders of our local (Metro Centre Gateshead) put Metroland in there which is an amusement park like the old seaside ones which is also well used with a pritty good selection of rides in there, as far as I know this is the only one of its type in a UK shopping center (hate the work mall americanisams again) most have an amusement arcade in them or a cinema but Metro Center with Metro Land has it all movies, bowling, cinema, Amusment Park, and Video games with Fruit MAchines too. I agree this is no replacement for a seaside day out with a visit to a Park but at least John Hall tryed when he built Metroland as it covers a large area of the center he could have just put more shops in there and probely made more money. When he sold the center to Capital Shopping Centres thay commited to Metroland by spending money on a complete referbish and bringing MR B's a blackpool based company i beleve to run the place did not go over board with the new name though thay called it New Metroland, so there is commitment to the park, and it also shows that retail and amusement parks can live and work side by side.

Cliff C
cliffc

Postby David Ellis » 15 Dec 2003, 21:30

Nick,

Today I received a letter from Thanet DC regarding the Local Inquiry. It said that the Inquiry will commence on 14 April 2004, with a Pre-Inquiry meeting on 15 January 2004.

In the letter was a questionnaire to complete and reply by 19 December at the latest. It is a shame Thanet DC only included a 2nd Class Prepaid envelope, as at this time of year posting it straight back in the post tomorrow won't guarantee it is back at Thanet by Friday!

Please can you advise how to complete the questionnaire (I assume you have received one yourself)?

The questions are:-

1. I wish to attend the Pre-Inquiry Meeting Yes / No (I assume No)

2. Status of Representation
- Unconditionally Withdraw
- Withdraw on certain conditions
- Rely on Original Representation (I assume this one)

3. I will send further written representations before 20 February Yes / No (I assume No)
I want to speak at the Inquiry Yes / No (I assume No)
I shall join with a local organisation to give evidence Yes / No (I assume Yes and state Save Dreanland Campaign)
I shall have legal representation Yes / No (I assume No)

4. Time required for an appearance (for each objection) (I assume Not Relevant)
Hours / Minutes required
Objection Number
Chapter in Local Plan
Policy in Local Plan
Objection Site Location

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

David.
David Ellis

Postby coasternutter » 15 Dec 2003, 22:49

I too have recived a letter the same as Davids.
I am however in the position that I can return it in person, sod the post office.
Could either Nick or Sarah let me know what boxes to tick etc.
Many thanks.
Robert Nutter
coasternutter

Questionnaire

Postby porterm » 16 Dec 2003, 01:06

Hi all,

I haven't had one of these yet (however the post is quite spasmodic these days!) I'm quite sure I may also be rather perplexed by the form, if and when it arrives.

Martin
porterm

Postby Cheryl » 16 Dec 2003, 11:28

Hi everyone, I received mine today! I would also like some advice please.

Happy Christmas to all at the campaign.
Cheryl
Cheryl

Postby Nick » 16 Dec 2003, 20:26

Dear All,

Firstly, I think that the deadline of 19 December is ridiculous given the Christmas post - some people have only received their letters today.

I will be sending some guidance notes on how to fill in the form by email later today.

I suggest filling the form in as follows:

1. I wish to attend the Pre-Inquiry Meeting Yes / No (NO - Sarah Vickery is attending and will provide everyone with an update. The meeting only deals with inquiry arrangements, not your objections)

2. Status of Representation
- Unconditionally Withdraw
- Withdraw on certain conditions
- Rely on Original Representation (YES)

3. I will send further written representations before 20 February Yes / No (YES - if you have the time and won't be able to attend the inquiry, we recommend submitting further written representations to expand your objections. This gets considered by the Inspector, and is therefore recommended)
I want to speak at the Inquiry Yes / No (NO - but if you are able to spare a day some time this spring - exact date to be announced - then say YES. If you do intend to appear at the inquiry, you don't need to send in the further written representations above. Instead you will submit a Proof of Evidence at a date yet to be announced.)
I shall join with a local organisation to give evidence Yes / No (If you are not appearing at the inquiry, say Yes - and state 'Save Dreamland Campaign')
I shall have legal representation Yes / No (No)

4. Time required for an appearance (for each objection) Not Relevant unless you are intending to appear. If you are, fill it in as follows:
Hours / Minutes required: however long you think you need!
Objection Number: Your unique reference number
Chapter in Local Plan: Chapter 8 - Tourism
Policy in Local Plan: T11 - Dreamland
Objection Site Location: Dreamland

But most importantly of all please do respond - don't ignore the letter. We need our voices to be heard!

Nick
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Sarah » 17 Dec 2003, 17:02

Hello all

Have spoken to Susan Adkins at TDC about this today, and particularly about the tight deadline. She is extending the deadline to Monday 22nd December, but also said she is happy to accept questionnaires by fax. So if you haven't yet entrusted your questionnaire to the Christmas post (or were clever enought to keep a copy) you can fax it to her on 01843 224919.

Seasonal greetings from merry Margate (the only place in Christendom where the local press would run a story about Jimmy Godden offering a reward for information leading to the arrest of the Waltzer arsonists...)

Sarah
Sarah

Postby David Ellis » 18 Dec 2003, 02:20

I posted mine today, and emailed Susan Adkins a scanned version of the form in case it didn't turn up in the post in time.
Fax seems like a good idea though.

David.
David Ellis

Postby cliffc » 19 Dec 2003, 01:46

Seasonal greetings from merry Margate (the only place in Christendom where the local press would run a story about Jimmy Godden offering a reward for information leading to the arrest of the Waltzer arsonists...)

I could make a comment on the above but even in this season of good will I may get stung with a law suit so ill keep those comments to my self.

have a good xmas all, and we hope to visit Margate again next summer as we are off to disney in paris (hopefully) and will be stopping over in Ashford for a few days upon return.
cliffc

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 19 Dec 2003, 21:21

cliffc wrote:Seasonal greetings from merry Margate (the only place in Christendom where the local press would run a story about Jimmy Godden offering a reward for information leading to the arrest of the Waltzer arsonists...)

Well, it is a mystery. I wouldn`t have a clue myself. Not the faintest inkling. Not a sausage.

Who could it have been?

Vince
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby David Ellis » 07 Feb 2004, 17:58

I received minutes of the pre-Inquiry meeting today, and details of the draft schedule for the public inquiry. I see Nick has a 3-hour slot in one of the last weeks of the Inquiry, early July.

Do we need to do anything or have you got it all under control Nick?

Regards,
David.
David Ellis

Postby Nick » 07 Feb 2004, 21:02

Thanks for the offer of help. At the moment, I have everything under control, but I will of course contact members if I need any help in putting my written statement together.

I am looking forward to the battle!

Nick
Nick
Site Admin

Postby coasternutter » 09 Feb 2004, 20:15

David Ellis wrote:I received minutes of the pre-Inquiry meeting today, and details of the draft schedule for the public inquiry. I see Nick has a 3-hour slot in one of the last weeks of the Inquiry, early July.

Do we need to do anything or have you got it all under control Nick?

Regards,
David.

Same here Nick my package arrived today. If help is needed please contact me.
Robert.
coasternutter

Postby porterm » 10 Feb 2004, 18:01

Hi all,

Just for the record, I also received my Minutes of The Pre-Inquiry Meeting and Draft Schedule For The Public Inquiry yesterday. (Apologies for not posting then but it was my first heavy shift back at work yesterday).

I notice my name also seems to have been inserted in the T11 session. Have to start drafting my speech now I guess!

Hopefully, this package receipt confirms that my last objection got to TDC by the December deadline last year. (I was rather unwell at that time and never got round to re-faxing my mailed paperwork)

I am sure you will contact us all Nick if any further assistance is needed.

Martin

PS Any news of Dreamland's 2004 Season yet?
porterm

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum