Back to Dreamland

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Back to Dreamland

Postby Geoff-T » 02 Sep 2003, 21:08

Took my first visit back to Dreamland today since 1995 as i have just moved into the area from London. I Must say i was very shocked at the way the park has been neglected, It made me so sad that it brought a tear to my eye as i walked around the waste area where the big wheel used to be.
I have a lot of memories of dreamland such as my first ride on a rollercoaster called the cyclone that used to be sited around the car park area next to the twin Big wheel, that was around 25 years ago!!!!!.

I made at least 3 -4 trips there every summer after until 1995 when i started working in europe. The place used to be really buzzing in the summer and was the highlight of my school summer holidays for many years. i was only passing through today but i will be coming back at the weekend to have some more rides on the scenic railway as i cant Describe the emotions that the park stirred up inside me as i walked in today even in the state of decline that it is.
To everyone involved in the Campaign you have my full support as i did not realise how much dreamland was part of me in my childhood and i would like to keep those memories and still visit the park for many years to come.

Geoff
Geoff-T

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum