Dreamland Closing And Itself Is A Disgrace

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Dreamland Closing And Itself Is A Disgrace

Postby sincydoodles » 02 Sep 2003, 22:28

I Have Just Recently Visited Dreamland In It's LOW SEASON And As I Have Not Been There Since 2000 It Is An Absolute Disgrace. It Is So Depressing To Walk Through The Sectioned Off Park. Where Have All The Rides Gone? Why Close The Stowaway? How Can They Section Off The Park And Not Run The Scenic Railway Anymore! Even In 2000 The Park Was Filthy, Run Down And Pretty Much Empty. The Mini Golf (Which Has Now Been Demolished) Was Disgusting And Smelt Off Urine. I Remember Going To Dreamland As A Kid And Always Going Straight To That Ghost In The House Thing, Which Is Still There To This Very Day Strangely Enough But Outside The Fence. To Be Fairly Honest I Do Actually Think That Saving Dreamland Is A Bit Pointless Now. It's Too Late. The Park Needs A Lot Of Money, I Mean Just Look At The Tatty Old Signs And Vandalism. The Whole Area Just Needs To Be Redeveloped. A Hell Lot Of Land. Somebody's Gonna Make A Hell Lot Of Money. SO DON'T SAVE DREAMLAND OR ROTUNDA BUT DO SAVE THE SCENIC RAILWAY. Wouldn't It Have Been Great If A Special Camera Looking Over The Park Was Installed When It 1st Opened To Show The Popularity And Demise Of The Business And Of Course All The Ride Changes. NOT POSSIBLE OBVIOUSLY. It's A Real Shame That Another Historic Area/Thing Has To Be Destroyed. There Will Be Nothing Left, DOVER - White Cliffs Experience: GONE, FOLKSTONE - Rotunda: GOING, MARGATE - Dreamland: GOING. I Think I'm Gonna Have To Buy That Book Because As You Can Probably Tell I'm Really Interested In The History Of Dreamland. Goodbye Dreamland :cry:
Last edited by sincydoodles on 03 Sep 2003, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
sincydoodles

Postby AJ » 02 Sep 2003, 23:39

Hello???? Have you actually read anything on this forum or website???? You really haven't got a clue!

As stated many times throughout the site it isn't going to be feesable to move the Scenic. Its 82 years old the levels have changed thus burying much of the supports in concrete or tarmac. Also only the recently replaced wood could be used to rebuild the ride making it a major expence, basicly the cost of an entire new ride. So the main concern MUST BE TO SAVE DREAMLAND!

Quote "The Whole Thing Is Falling Apart And Has Had So Many Repairs And It Still Really Shakes." Have you been on many wooden coasters? They all shake and move. This is what sets out a Woodie from the Steel Coaster, each ride round the coaster is different as you would learn if you spoke to Dave (The brakeman from the Scenic).

The place has looked the pits ever since that MUPPET Godden took over. Even when he 'tidied' the place up by ripping out the trees etc and paving the area the place still looked a state.

Many people have put time and effort into this campaign and it really annoys me when people like you come here without reading the facts and write utter rubbish.
AJ

Postby sincydoodles » 03 Sep 2003, 08:25

:shock: Hey get lost were're all upset that dreamland is going don't take it out on me :evil: i can't be bothered to read the rest of this forum. All i really wanted to say was that dreamland is a state and is not worth the money to keep. What i meant by saving the Scenic is too somehow incorporate it into the new plans for dreamland and not move it. Anyone can see it can't be moved, but it is a disgrace that Godden is not running it. Thank God to the Scenic Railway Trust and Save Dreamland Campaign :D :D :D
sincydoodles

Postby sincydoodles » 03 Sep 2003, 08:44

Ok i was a bit thoughtless to say that the Scenic shakes. Yes they all shake i know. I'm such a dumbass :oops:
sincydoodles

Postby Neil » 11 Sep 2003, 19:38

Unfortunatly as Dave explained to me when I visited the park running the Scenic on its own would most likely be unfinancially viable. Therefore it's save the park and Scenic Railway or loose both. I know which I'd rather.
Neil Wilson
Neil

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum